Dear Home Office,

Can you share relevant legislation and guidance for following situation:

One parent has Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)
Other parent has PBS Dependent Visa
Minor child (born outside UK, age less than 5 years) has PBS Dependent Visa

Q1. Is it mandatory for minor child in situation above to apply for ILR when the other parent is applying for their ILR?

Q2. Can the minor child continue on PBS Dependent Visa while both parents have ILR?

Q3. Can minor child apply for naturalisation at same time as one of the parent is applying for their naturalisation?

Q4. What is the most efficient immigration route for the minor child towards British citizenship?

If any one of the question falls outside FOI criteria, then please answer remaining queries.

Yours faithfully,

John Williams

FOI Requests, Home Office

Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of below outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information request, as it does not ask for recorded information.

Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests under the Act:

We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answer outside of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in due course.

Thank you,

J. Douglas
FOI Requests
Home Office

show quoted sections

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Sir/Madam,
Thank you for your enquiry dated 11th February 2019 regarding your query.
Our response to your enquiry will involve asking for or disclosing your
personal data.  We cannot do this via ‘’, which is a
public website.  I would therefore be grateful if you would let us have
your personal e-mail and the query to which we can reply. 
Alternatively, if you would like to contact us directly, you can at the
following address:
[1][email address]
Please also refer to our website for guidance by using this link:
We provide this email response whenever the enquiry is “case specific”.
Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance
material accompanies each and every application form. UK Visas and
Immigration is not able to give, indicate or advise upon the outcome of
any such application prior to it being given full and careful
Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need any further help you should seek independent immigration
advice. Immigration advisers can help you with immigration matters,
including completion of forms and representing you at a tribunal. The
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates
immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain standards.
Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:
Yours faithfully,
Gary Porter




UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [4]


Please note that we cannot provide case specific advice or pre-assess an
application but we can provide information and support you through
signposting and website navigation. If you require more specific advise
then please speak to a qualified immigration advisor


Visible links
1. Click to follow link: mailto:[email address]
mailto:[email address]
2. Click to follow link:
3. Click to follow link:

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .