Dear Peterhouse, Cambridge,
It would be very much appreciated if you could, under the FOI Act, provide the following information regarding applications to study Law at Peterhouse in the 2020-21 admissions cycle (including deferred entry in 2022).
1. The status of each applicant (Home / EU / International)
2. The A level / IB (or equivalent) grades of all applicants. Could you please specify whether these grades are predicted or achieved, and whether these grades are for A level, IB, or any other system.
3. The interview score of all applicants who were interviewed. Could you please indicate if they were interviewed overseas.
4. The Cambridge Law Test score of all applicants.
5. The final decision of each application—whether the applicant was made an offer, pooled, unsuccessful, or deselected before interview. Could you indicate if they were made an offer at another college if pooled, and if possible, which college fished them.
Thanks for your time! It is very much appreciated. Do let me know if you require any other information.
Further to your FOI request received on 4 February 2021, the information requested, insofar as it is held (noting that the current undergraduate applications cycle is ongoing), is exempt under section 36(2)(c) of the Act because its disclosure would be likely to prejudice the effective conduct of public affairs, in this case the integrity of the CollegeÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s applications and admissions process which form a fundamental part of its mission as an educational institution. (As the information requested is statistical in nature, the opinion of the qualified person did not need to be sought for this application of section 36.)
The current undergraduate applications cycle is ongoing and applications are still being submitted and assessed. The College considers that the disclosure of detailed statistics about applications made within the current cycle would be likely to prejudice the notion of a fair and confidential admissions process whereby each applicant has the same information at their disposal and partial granular data is not disclosed to specific members of the public while the process is ongoing.
As this is a qualified exemption, the College has considered whether, in all the circumstances of the case, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information. The College considers that, while some people might have an understandable private interest in these statistics, there is no genuine public interest in them when set against the extensive statistical information available about previous admissions cycles published at https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.u...
coupled with the prevailing public interest in maintaining a level playing field in terms of the information available to all applicants.
College Secretary/FOI Officer
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now