This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Information regarding the meetings of the LGBTQ+ Expert Panel for the 2021 Action Plan'.

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
LGBT+ Expert Panel 
19 January 2021, 10:15 – 11:45 
 
Attendees:  
Dr Daryl Leeworthy  
Swansea University 
Kate Hutchinson  
PRIDE Cymru  
Ourania Vamvaka-Tatsi  
MEAD Cardiff University 
Iestyn Wyn  
Stonewall Cymru 
Joe Rossiter  
Stonewall Cymru 
Professor EJ Renold  
Cardiff University  
Rahim el Habichi  
Glitter Cymru 
[redacted]  
Stonewall Cymru  
Lisa Cordery-Bruce  
 
Lu Thomas 
 
 
Welsh Government Officials: 
Alyson Francis 
Communities Division  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch 
[redacted]  
Equality Branch 
[redacted]  
Equality Branch 
[redacted]  
Equality Branch 
[redacted]  
Equality Branch 
[redacted]  
Equality Branch – Social Research 
[redacted]  
Specialist Advisor  
 
Apologies: 
Belinda Davies                                              
 
Agenda item: 
 
1. 
Welcome & Introductions (10 minutes) 
 
Alyson welcomed attendees to the first meeting of the LGBT+ Expert Panel, and 
members introduced themselves.  
 
Alyson explained to the panel that this work is a priority for Jane Hutt MS, Deputy 
Minister and Chief Whip, who is keen to develop a robust, challenging and cross-
cutting plan - one that strengthens the protections for LGBT+ people across Wales, 
promotes equality for all and helps coordinate ambitious actions across government 
and beyond.  
 
Alyson emphasised that the Welsh Government is keen to ensure that the expertise 
and lived experiences of LGBT+ people guides our work and thanked everyone for 
joining and for offering their independent expertise to help draft the first LGBT+ 
Action Plan for Wales.  

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
 
2. 
Draft Terms of Reference (10 minutes) 
 
Members were asked to discuss, suggest amends and to approve the Draft Terms 
of Reference paper.  
 
Panel members agreed the Terms of Reference.  
 
Panel members were also asked to agree an independent Chair for this group from 
among the membership, to chair the next 2 scheduled meetings of the Panel (16 
February and 16 March). 
 
Members asked for clarity around Stonewall’s role in the group. Iestyn explained 
that Stonewall are providing an engagement role, by arranging focus groups to input 
into the plan, and a secretarial role as they’ll be drafting the report between 
meetings with significant input from panel members.  
 
Iestyn was nominated to be chair and provisionally accepted in the event that 
another panel member does not wish to fulfil the role.  
 
Action: Panel members to let Equality Branch know by 5 February if they’d like to 
make a nomination for chair or co-chair. Members will then be asked to vote to 
select the final candidate if more than one name comes forward.   
 
The panel discussed whether additional members were required in order to have 
broader representation of children and young people. 
 
Some members suggested that while it’s important that ongoing discussions are 
happening with LGBT+ groups across Wales to feed into the plan it may be more 
productive to keep the expert panel membership smaller and if extra members are 
invited, it should be to provide different expertise to the existing membership.  
Members also raised that Stonewall will be holding focus groups with Children and 
Young people through their engagement work.  
 
 
 
3. 
Overall Approach (10 minutes) 
 
[redacted] provided the members with a brief overview of the current context of this 
work: 
 
  The Welsh Government takes seriously its commitment to promoting equality 
in Wales. In the main, this work is coordinated via the Strategic Equality Plan 
objectives. However, they are also paying special attention to coordinating 
efforts for particular groups who may experience additional barriers. For 
example they have a Framework for Disabled people, are working on a Race 
Equality Action Plan and in 2016 a Transgender Action Plan was published. 
The recommendations within this are now somewhat out of date and will be 
revisited and refreshed as part of the current work. 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
  In Summer 2020, Welsh Government commissioned Stonewall Cymru to 
carry out some initial engagement with stakeholders on an LGBT+ Plan. This 
engagement included exploring what important themes should be included in 
any new Action Plan.  
  Stonewall Cymru consulted with approximately 600 participants over the 
summer and recommended a single plan with a range of actions relating to 
education, personal and community safety, health and social care, and the 
workplace. 
  The Expert Panel forms part of a broader strategy for stakeholder 
engagement and sits alongside a newly formed Stakeholder Reference 
Group which met in mid-November.  
  The Welsh Government have also asked Stonewall Cymru to carry out 
further Roundtable Discussions with specific interest groups to help the plan 
consider intersectionality. These groups include children and young people, 
older people, disabled people and Black, Asian and minority ethnic people 
representatives. 
  All this is to inform pre-consultation, initial drafting work. It is then intended to 
take the draft plan to public consultation in the next Senedd administration. 
  Timescales are quite tight so further drafting work with Expert Panel 
members is likely to be necessary outside of these meetings. 
  The Welsh Government is keen to ensure that the LGBT+ Plan is informed 
by a strong evidence base. Members are invited to forward any relevant 
reports, data or other forms of evidence to Steven Macey who can collect 
and coordinate.  
 
[redacted] introduced himself to the group and briefly outlined the role he has 
played in supporting the Black, Asian and minority ethnic Socioeconomic report, 
Race Equality Action Plan and the Disability Covid Impacts work.  
 
Action: Panel members to forward any relevant reports, data or other forms of 
evidence to [redacted] 
 
4. 
What Next for LGBT Equality in Wales? Stonewall Cymru Report (15 
minutes) 

Iestyn Wyn (Stonewall Cymru) gave members an overview of the findings and 
recommendations in the ‘What Next for LGBT Equality in Wales?’ report, which has 
been put together from the engagement process undertaken during the summer. 
Iestyn explained that the document is broken up into key policy areas which broadly 
align with the UK Government LGBT Action Plan, whilst taking consideration of 
areas of devolved powers. The policy areas are Safety; Home and Communities; 
Health and Social Care; Education; Workplace; Covid-19 Recovery; Specific 
recommendations to update the Trans Action Plan. 
Iestyn explained that in the trans equality section there are trans specific 
recommendations but throughout the plan there are recommendations which will 
impact all LGBT+ people. 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
Stonewall Cymru will use the expert group discussions to draft changes to the 
What’s Next Report – producing a set of recommendations which will be presented 
as recommendations of the LGBT+ Expert Panel. This will be considered by the 
Welsh Government before being put out to public consultation. 
 
5. 
Open Discussion (35 minutes) 
 
Members were asked to give their views on the overall approach for the plan and to 
consider if they:  
 
  Agree with the proposed areas presented in the ‘What Next for LGBT 
Equality in Wales?’ report 
  Are aware of any gaps and to explore these 
  Are happy for updates to the Trans Action Plan to sit as a section within but 
distinct from the rest of the plan.  
 
The below points were raised in the discussion - 
.     How do we make a plan not sound like a list of actions? Do we want to take a 
similar approach to the Race Equality Action Plan and set out our 
vision/aims? 
  The Education section of the report is too focused on schools and does not 
consider lifelong learning, community based adult learning, universities etc  
  How are young people’s lives carved up? Education is a big part, but not the 
only part. It was suggested that there could be a ‘Children and Young people’ 
section, with education included within this as well as youth groups, how they 
live etc.  And education/lifelong learning could be included as a separate 
heading.  
  Definitely agree that 'education' section should be expanded to children and 
young people - as well as a separate point to older people - which will be 
informed by our focus group which is planned.  
  It was felt that the plan would benefit from a life course perspective to take 
account of the needs of people who may fall between themes - for example, 
people who fall between school and employment. The needs of older people 
are often lost, as was mentioned by the broader reference group too. 
  Could consider using similar sort of language as Wellbeing of Future 
Generations Act. 
  Class identity and socio-economic deprivation often underpin so many of the 
issues raised in the report and need to be considered.  Alyson explained that 
the Welsh Government will be commencing the Socio-Economic Duty on 31 
March and so the plan will need to consider socio-economic impact.  
  What are the mechanisms of this group? We’re creating an action plan 
between now and March, but how do we monitor implementation of the plan?  
  Alyson explained there’ll be wider, public consultation on the plan once 
drafted and the group will need to think collectively about the approach to 
this. The plan will change depending on feedback from the consultation and 
a board similar to the panel will need to oversee implementation.  

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
  The Welsh Refugee Council and DPiA are looking at housing needs for 
LGBTQ asylum seekers and have been rolling out a survey. They will have 
evidence at the end of this month which will be a good addition to this plan. 
Would the panel be interested in this evidence?  
  The panel agreed that this evidence would be useful for the plan and Iestyn 
encouraged members to share knowledge and contacts between meetings to 
make sure the plan encompasses different policy areas.  
  Question to Welsh Government Officials – what do they need the expert 
panel to do given the time constraints? Is there an existing plan to build on? 
  Equality branch clarified that although this is the first LGBT+ Action plan we 
are not starting from scratch and asked the group whether they were happy 
to use Stonewall’s initial findings as a basis for the report?  
  It was explained that the expert panel can produce something similar to the 
plan that Stonewall has written which will then be fed back to Welsh 
Government to formulate into a consultation document.  
  The Stonewall report was agreed to be a good basis for the action plan  
  Consideration must be given to WG structures to reinforce the 
implementation of those actions in the report which are for WG to do; there 
are things that are devolved and others outside of Welsh Government 
competence currently. 
  If Welsh Government are producing action plans across different 
characteristics can there be read across between the plans – can they look 
similar?  
  Alyson explained that this is something the panel can consider, if they think 
this is the best way forward. However if they go with a life course approach to 
the plan then it’ll look different to the REAP as that is taking a thematic 
approach. Alyson informed the panel that the Welsh Government have been 
considering whether to ultimately bring all the single characteristic action 
plans together to form one intersectional plan which would sit under the 
strategic equality plan. But as there isn’t currently a LGBT+ or Race plan, it 
was important to get these in place before that is considered.  
  Members suggested that if the plans look similar it will make it easier for the 
public to look at and understand the documents. How we present and 
formulate this report is a crucial way to aid intersectionality.  
  When you put all the action plans together do you see the overall equality 
objectives? 
  There’s so much work going on in contemporary research, what is the best 
mechanism to get feedback from other researches/academics? Can panel 
members share the report, run separate sub-groups and see who wants to 
get involved? It was confirmed that the report can be shared and this work 
can take place.  
  In the development of the VAWDASV Act there was a separate marketing 
and communications group which informed the engagement work and 
messaging. It was suggested that this type of group might be a useful 
addition alongside the expert panel. The question of how related work such 
as the RSE comms work fits alongside this work was raised.  
 
Action: Officials to follow this up and find out further information about this group.  
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
  Arts and culture is important to health and wellbeing, need to include this in 
the plan.  
  Can we change the name? It doesn’t represent all identities. Iestyn confirmed 
that nothing is agreed – it is up to the expert panel to make 
recommendations and provide expertise to Welsh Government.  
 
Action:
  Consider the name and terminology at a future meeting.   
 
  Accessibility of the language in the report - need to think of this. How do we 
explain intersectionality?  
  A glossary would be useful within the Action Plan (a glossary was produced 
by the SRE expert panel which could be an example). 
  Need to translate final report into other languages.  
  Make it accessible for people with visual impairments too and available in 
easy read 
  What software can we use to share documents?  
 
Action:
 Welsh Government officials to consider what collaborative IT the panel can 
use. 
 
Action: Members to send any further thoughts/recommendations on structure of the 
report, or any of its content, to Stonewall by 5th  of February. Members were asked 
to make comments on the report in as much detail as they can.  
 
Action: [redacted] will re-write the report through a lifelong lens so the sections 
aren’t so segregated. [redacted] will reflect the discussion in re-drafting the report as 
well as feedback from the focus groups, and will share ahead of the next meeting so 
it can be discussed in further detail at that meeting.  
 
 
6. 
Any Other Business (10 minutes) 
 
Members were invited to raise any other issues that have not already been covered. 
There was no other business.  
 
7. 
Meeting close 
 
Alyson thanked members for their attendance, and informed them the LGBT+ 
Expert Panel will meet again on the 16th February and 16th March 2021. Officials will 
be in touch to confirm arrangements. 
 
 
 
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
LGBT+ Expert Panel Meeting Minutes  
16th February 2021, 10:15 – 11:45 via Microsoft Teams 
 
Attendees:  
Dr Daryl Leeworthy 
Swansea University 
Lu Thomas 
Individual 
Kate Hutchinson  
PRIDE Cymru 
Ourania Vamvaka-Tatsi 
MEAD Cardiff Uni 
Iestyn Wyn 
Stonewall Cymru 
Joe Rossiter 
Stonewall Cymru 
Lisa Cordery-Bruce 
Health 
 
Professor EJ Renold 
Cardiff University 
Cath Burton 
Race Equality First 
Lisa Power 
Fast Track Cardiff and Vale  
Davinia Green  
Stonewall Cymru 
Belinda Davies 
Former Chief Superintendent of South 
Wales Police 
 
Welsh Government Officials: 
 
Alyson Francis 
Communities Division  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch 
[redacted] 
Communities Division 
[redacted] 
Equality Branch 
[redacted] 
Equality Branch 
 
 
 
Apologies: Dr Sophie Quinney, [redacted], Numair Massud 
 
 
Agenda Item: 
1.  Welcome and Introductions  
 
Alyson welcomed attendees to the second meeting of the LGBT+ Expert 
Panel.  
 
Alyson explained that a suggestion had been received for Lu Thomas and 
Alyson to co-chair the group. Iestyn had been nominated to be chair at the 
last meeting but had politely declined the request due to the existing role that 
Stonewall plays in drafting the report.  
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
Alyson invited Lu to co-chair the remainder of the meeting.  
 
Lu introduced new members to the panel, including Lisa Power, Belinda 
Davies, Cath Burton and Davinia Green, who has recently been appointed as 
the new Director of Stonewall Cymru.  
 
2.  Minutes of Previous Meeting and Actions  
 
Lu asked members to check the minutes of previous meeting for points of 
accuracy and approval. Members approved the minutes.  
 
3.  Progress Update (20 minutes) 
 
Stonewall Cymru provided an overview of progress made so far in drafting 
the expert panel’s report. They; 
 
1.  Summarised feedback they’ve received so far from panel members. One of 
the main points raised during the last meeting was that some thematic areas 
were missing from the report, which covered the different stages of a 
person’s life.  Members recommended taking a life course approach to the 
report instead and Stonewall thanked EJ and Daryl for their support in 
helping to re-frame the report from this perspective. Stonewall explained that 
they’ve now put all the recommendations in chronological order, to align with 
a person’s different stages in life. They’ve also changed the introduction to 
include an overview of how the report should be viewed through a life-course 
perspective. They explained that it was difficult to frame the whole report in a 
life-course approach due to so many of the recommendations fitting into the 
same thematic areas, and that they’ve tried to balance framing the report 
through a life-course lens versus the need for a way to wrap 
recommendations into different policy areas.  
 
2.  They also shared the initial key messages emerging from Roundtable 
Discussions and wider engagement sessions.  
 
  They explained that they’ve held four different intersectional identity 
based focus groups including Disabled LGBT+ people, LGBT+ People 
of Colour, Young LGBT+ people and Older LGBT+ people. 
  Focus groups were well-attended and largely reinforced the existing 
recommendations in the report.  
  Themes that arose included – impact on mental health, isolation, the 
need for intersectional learning/services, the need for LGBT+ inclusive 
care plans for older people, better training for staff working with 
LGBT+ disabled people. These themes will factor into the final report.  

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
  The Young LGBT+ people focus group were happy with the direction 
the report is going.  
  Stonewall has been holding meetings with different equality 
organisations too.  
Members were invited to provide general feedback and brief comments. No issues 
were raised. 
Stonewall asked members to email them with suggestions of anyone else they 
should be engaging with.  
  It was suggested the Belong group for trans and non-binary children and 
young people might offer another perspective as a focus group (run by Youth 
Cymru and The Amber Project).  
 
 
4.  Open Discussion: Thematic Areas and review draft recommendations 
(40 minutes) 
 
Stonewall Cymru lead an open discussion on the draft recommendations 
presented in the following thematic areas: 
  Safety 
  Home and Communities 
  Health and Social Care 
 
Members were invited to provide feedback and comment on the draft 
recommendations: 
  Whether they agree or disagree each recommendation 
  Considering feasibility and context i.e. devolution 
  Suggested amends 
 
During the discussion the following points were made: 
 
  Children’s rights should be added to the human rights section. 
  Members agreed that a strong evidence base and rational for each section 
was needed - every section should be supplemented with research findings, 
so Stonewall’s research and evidence gathering (eg roundtables) can be 
supported. 
 
Action 1: Panel members to send any research/evidence to the social researcher 
at Welsh Government   
 
  There’s a need to differentiate between which recommendations touch on 
devolved and non-devolved powers. 
 
Some members suggested that it is Welsh Government’s role to scope out 
what’s within their legal competence and they can choose whether or not to 
accept the expert panel’s recommendations. 
 
Other members would like to a see a report that is achievable with short, 
medium and long term aims. For instance – the legal recognition for non-

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
binary people recommendation – panel need to be clear if this means 
accurate data collection, the census, or equality and inclusion pro froma’s in 
job applications – report needs to be targeted and achievable for the action 
the panel want Welsh Government to take.  
 
 
100 recommendations may be too many 
 
Alyson agreed that while all the recommendations seem valuable, sometimes 
when there are so many the message can get lost – she asked the panel to 
consider what are the priorities for the plan? The Race Equality Action plan 
(REAP) has long term goals and short terms actions – Alyson asked 
members if this approach for the LGBT+ plan could help with the volume of 
recommendations? They could make high-level goals/statements with 
actions underneath. Also important to link with other equality action plans too 
- such as recommendations in the REAP.  
 
Members agreed that short and longer term goals/actions would work, and 
should also include who is responsible for delivering each one. 
 
They also agreed that the LGBT+ Action plan should tie in to other WG 
plans. 
 
Some members offered to streamline the recommendations in order to 
reduce overall number of recommendations and find the overarching issues  
 
Members also suggested setting up sub-groups for each thematic area to 
refine recommendations 
    Another member raised the point that if the panel omit points that have been 
shared by the community what message does this send to that community – 
the panel needs to be careful about omitting points (non-binary identification 
isn’t easy to achieve, but it’s something we should never be afraid of tackling 
for instance). The community need to see themselves represented in the 
report.  
 
Another member agreed that while it’s important to prioritise it can be 
problematic i.e. if someone is Bi and feels its important then why isn’t it a 
priority? Where do we draw line between it being ambitious and where WG 
see it as being achievable? 
 
Lu reassured members that the exercise wouldn’t be about excluding and 
dropping issues out of the report, but looking to see where competencies 
allow us to be most effective. The Stonewall report will not be watered down 
in any way, it forms the evidence base but we need to distil it and make it 
more useful for Welsh Government officials to implement it. 
 
As an example, one member suggested that an overarching goal could be for 
Welsh Government to recognise non-binary identities legally with actions that 
relate to Welsh Governments areas of competence underneath i.e.  
 
1.  All Welsh Government forms will include reference to non-binary identity 
2.  Welsh Government will encourage/influence businesses to…. 
3.  Welsh Government will press UK Government to…. 
 
Action 2: Welsh Government officials to go through recommendations in the report 
and see what is within our competence, where we can encourage partners and 
where we’d need to influence UK Government.  

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
 
Action 3:
 Welsh Government officials to arrange an initial streamlining session with 
panel members to condense the recommendations.  
 
Action 4: Welsh Government officials to arrange sub-group meeting for each 
thematic area.  
 
Structure/Governance of report  
 
 
We need to have quick wins but we need a structure and story, we need a 
clear plan afterwards about how to implement these actions which may help 
structure the report 
 
Welsh Government  will need some form of group to oversee implementation 
of this plan and we could include a recommendation within the plan to 
include this  
 
 
Safety  
 
Members discussed the ‘Safety’ section of the report: 
 
 
Hate Crime – important to detail where Welsh Government have influence 
and where they have competency ( what is devolved/non-devolved) 
 
Training - every single police cadet has online equality training– but police 
forces should refresh training as it needs to filter to the top of the ladder 
rather than only being delivered to cadets.  
 
Training needs to be more meaningful. It’s presented in a classroom and 
seen as a punishment, it’s now been moved to electronic training and its 
boredom by powerpoints, some people pretend to do the training.  
 
Online training (e.g. survey) is very problematic across all sectors 
 
A key message from each of the engagement groups was the need for 
comprehensive LGBT+ and diversity training across a range of public 
services - might need to be an overarching recommendation? 
 
Are there more opportunities to influence though our funding of PCSOs? 
 
Alyson explained that we’re redoing our VAWDASV strategy and can look at 
what we need to include/how we can engage on issues brought to light by 
LGBT+ Action Plan. 
 
 
Criminal Justice   
 
Stonewall explained that this isn’t an area that’s devolved but the Welsh 
Justice commissions report highlighted some recommendations about 
criminal justice in the future and how this should sit in Wales. Panel members 
were asked if reference should be made to these recommendations in the 
plan.  
 
It was suggested that these recommendations could be cut out to reduce 
overall number of recommendations and that Welsh Government should look 
at the report that’s already been produced.   

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
 
Members discussed again the need for a high- level vision and then more 
precise actions that Welsh Government has control over – for instance 
LGBT+ prisoners – HMPP not devolved but we are responsible for prisoner’s 
health and we have services that support prisoners –we don’t know what 
LGBT+ services are offered in the prison service  
 
One member asked, can the plan can be bold, with a 
vision/recommendations that go beyond Wales (in addition to devolved 
areas) - influencing change needed for Wales in those areas not devolved 
 
 
Home and Communities 
 
Youth section needs to be included in this section to weave in life-course 
approach  
 
Museum section can be strengthened – EJ and Daryl to support with this 
during sub group meeting  
 
Stonewall presented the Plan on a page document and asked members to consider 
how the plan could be easily communicated in one document.  
 
5.  Next Steps and Any Other Business 
 
 
There was no other business.  
 
Members were encouraged to continue providing feedback to Stonewall Cymru 
between now and the next meeting. Members were reminded that we intend to have 
an advanced final draft version of the report by the end of the next meeting – with 
the view of providing advice to the Deputy Minister and Chief Whip thereafter. 
 
6.  Meeting closes 
 
Lu thanked members for their attendance, and informed them the LGBT+ Expert 
Panel will meet again on 16th March 2021. Officials will be in touch to confirm 
arrangements. 
 
 
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
LGBT+ Expert Panel Meeting Minutes  
16th March 2021, 13:00-14:00 via Microsoft Teams 
 
Attendees:  
Dr Daryl Leeworthy 
Swansea University  
Lu Thomas  
Individual  
Kate Hutchinson 
Pride Cymru  
Ourania Vamvaka-Tasi 
MEAD Cardiff University   
Iestyn Wyn  
Stonewall Cymru  
Joe Rossiter  
Stonewall Cymru  
Davinia Green  
Stonewall Cymru  
Lisa Cordery-Bruce  
Health  
Professor EJ Renold 
Cardiff University  
Cath Burton  
Race Equality First  
Lisa Power  
Fast Track Cardiff and the Vale  
Dr Sophie Quinney 
Welsh Gender Service  
 
Welsh Government Officials: 
Alyson Francis  
Communities Division  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch  
[redacted] 
Equality Branch  
[redacted] 
Social Researcher  
[redacted]  
Specialist policy advisor  
 
Apologies:  
Belinda Davies  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
Agenda Item: 
1.  Welcome and Introductions (5 minutes) 
 
Lu welcomed attendees to the third meeting of the LGBT+ Expert Panel.  
 
2.  Minutes of Previous Meeting and Actions (10 minutes) 
Members were asked to check minutes of previous meeting for points of accuracy 
and to approve.  
Lu asked if her amendments to the minutes sent earlier in the week had been 
received, WG confirmed that they had and her comments had been noted.  
No other issues were raised and panel members approved the minutes.   
 
3.  Progress Update (5 minutes) 
Emily thanked members for their contributions to the sub-group meetings and for 
their hard work in drafting the report. Emily highlighted how the report had been 
strengthened from the initial draft and how members’ collaborative efforts have 
made this a genuinely independently report. Lu also extended her thanks to the 
hard efforts made by panel members through this process.  
Emily also drew members’ attention to an additional recommendation on banning 
conversion therapy which has been added to the Human Rights section of the 
report.  
Lu noted that her amendments/comments had not yet been reflected in the report 
and agreed to re-send, and to go through the suggested amends during the 
meeting.  
 
Members discussed the following amends: 
 
9. the word ‘continue’ to be added after ‘Welsh Government should..’ and Welsh 
Government to explore what action can be taken within its own devolved powers to 
make progress in this area.  
 
10. ‘Welsh Government should ban conversion therapy in Wales’ to be added.  
 
In discussion, members raised the point that it was unclear yet what powers Welsh 
Government has to ban conversion therapy, but that they do have powers over 
health and psychological therapies.  
 
11. Members asked what was meant by ‘documentation’ and suggested that if this 
means recruitment documentation, then all unnecessary personal identity markers, 
such as age and ethnicity, should also be removed to make this recommendation 
intersectional.  
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
Some members said it was wider than just recruitment - and would be more 
relevant to Welsh Gov when it is beyond recruitment. They suggested the 
recommendation may just need to be explicit in saying it includes recruitment. 
 
Other members also raised that this recommendation is relevant to Education too, 
and not just workplaces.  
 
Some members suggested saying that the Welsh Government should accept as a 
general principle that if there is no need to know about gender, it should not be 
asked.  
 
Other members raised the issue of who determines the need to know, and that it is 
sometimes needed in health documents.  
 
It was raised that this may be something the panel could provide further guidance 
on as the action plan is developed.  
 
It was agreed that Welsh Government officials would attempt to redraft the 
recommendation based on the panel’s comments, and to seek panel members’ 
agreement through email.  
 
Safety section 
 
Members raised that there isn’t currently a recommendation regarding VAWDASV 
and LGBT+ communities.  
 
Alyson informed panel members that Welsh Government is currently refreshing their 
VAWDASV strategy - and suggested that the recommendation could be in 
reference to this? Perhaps around community co-production and VAWDASV and 
the need to consider LGBT+ communities very clearly within the development of the 
VAWDSV strategy.  
 
Members felt that LGBT+ people are often not seen in VAWDASV, that all the 
paraphernalia is heteronormative and LGBT+  are lacking in the data sets.  
 
Action 1: Lu agreed to write some background and a recommendation on this and 
to seek agreement from other expert panel members.  
 
14. Members asked what is meant by ‘state of’ reporting – poor reporting or poor 
record management?  It was confirmed that this is in reference to under-reporting.  
 
The aim is to increase the number of people reporting hate crimes – and making 
sure people are comfortable enough to report hate crime.  
 
It was also raised that the issue is not only to do with increasing public confidence 
to report hate crime, but also about making people feel confident that when they 
report a hate crime it will be recorded as such and will be dealt with.  
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
It was confirmed that the Welsh Gender Service are engaging with SW Police on 
how they can increase hate crime reporting, but behind the scenes, rather than 
publically due to distrust from the community in SW Police.  
 
It was also suggested that hate crime reporting should sit with a different/non police 
organisation.  
 
Alyson informed members that Welsh Government funds an alternative route for 
people to report hate crime - and seek support - if they don't want to report directly 
to the police.  
 
The importance of education in helping to prevent hate crimes from happening was 
also raised- it was confirmed that this is a recommendation in the education section.  
 
Members to agree final wording of recommendation through email.  
 
15. Do we mean Facebook, Twitter. Grindr etc by social media platforms? And 
should the wording be changed to ‘national and international’ social media 
platforms.  
 
Members agreed that the wording should remain the same.   
 
16. Should we add home office? 
 
Members agreed that the wording should remain the same.  
 
39. The word ‘well-being’ to be removed as it could dilute the recommendation if it 
isn’t specific enough. This was agreed.  
 
40. The word ‘remote’ should be changed to ‘postal’ – members agreed with change 
of word.  
 
43. The point was raised that although there is a perception that the Welsh Gender 
Service treats non-binary people differently, or that there is a disparity in the service 
offered, this is not the reality as they do provide a service for non-binary people.  
 
Members agreed that this has been a historic perception issue and is not currently 
the case - but that there is work to do to change this perception.  
 
Members asked if we could link to and reinforce this disparity in ways that 
strengthen the section on WG public communication/support for non-binary 
identities. 
 
Members to agree final wording of this recommendation through email.  
 
General note from member: lower case to be used for hate crime, remove 
apostrophe of possession in 16 commissioners rather —er’s. 
 
Action 2: Emily to make the suggested amendments as discussed during the 
meeting and to send back out to members before close of play. Members to make 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
any further comments/amendments by 2pm on Wednesday. Emily will make the 
final changes and send to members for final agreement and sign off by Friday 
10am.  
 
 
  
4.  Open Discussion: Agree Final Amends (30 minutes) 
 
Members were asked if they had any final amends or inaccuracies they wanted to 
be addressed. Members agreed to follow the email procedure outlined above.  
 
Members were asked for their views on: 
 
  Naming the Action Plan – What should it be called? And; 
  Using the term LGBT+ or LGBTQ+ throughout the report 
 
One member shared that they love the term ‘action plan’ because when they’ve 
talked with young people they understood what it meant immediately.  
It was also suggested that naming the action plan is something we could include in 
the consultation.  
Members discussed how terminology is likely to change each year.  
 
Some members discussed using LGBT+ as the current terminology in the report – 
with a footnote to say who this includes and to say the terminology is likely to 
change. 
 
Other members raised that the term LGBTQ+ is used by many of the young people 
they work with and that they wanted young people to feel represented in the report. 
This is also the term that is being used in RSE (education). Members agreed to 
using this term. 
 
It was also noted in the comments that ‘Queer’ hasn’t been included in the glossary. 
 
Also, the glossary describe their identities and their gender and sexuality. It was 
suggested that this should change to ‘describe their gender and sexuality’. 
 
Action 3: Stonewall to make the necessary changes to the Glossary. 
 
 
5.  Report Sign-off (5 minutes) 
 
It was agreed that the panel would sign-off the report through email instead as more 
amendments needed to be made. See action 2.  
 
 
6.  Next Steps and Any Other Business (10 minutes) 
 

All minutes of all the meetings the Expert Panel held to discuss the recent 
LGBTQ+ Action Plan and its consultation. 
 
Emily informed members that after they’ve signed off the report, officials will make 
any final copy/proofing edits and will send the report as part of a piece of Ministerial 
Advice to the Deputy Minister before the end of the month. This will be 
accompanied by a framework for a draft action plan (based on their 
recommendations) that we can use as the basis for discussion with officials in other 
departments and then take to public consultation in the new Senedd Cymru term. 
 
Lu asked Emily to clarify what was meant by a framework for a draft action plan and 
for when this would go to the Deputy Minister.  
 
Emily confirmed that it would go to the Deputy Minister early next week and would 
be an early draft, based on recommendations from the panel, but that there would 
be further work to do internally, as well as further engagement with the panel, 
before the plan would be ready for consultation in the new Senedd term. 
 
Emily asked members if they’d be happy to be brought together again following the 
elections to help inform and guide our stakeholder engagement approach to the 
public consultation. Members agreed and were informed that officials would write to 
them to confirm arrangements when appropriate. 
 
 
7.  Meeting closes 
 
Lu thanked members of the panel again for their hard work so far. 
 
 
 

Section 40 information. 
Freedom of Information Act 2000: Section 40(2)  
Section 40(2) together with the conditions in section 40(3)(a)(i) or 40(3)(b) provides an 
absolute exemption if disclosure of the personal data would breach any of the data 
protection principles.  
‘Personal data’ is defined in sections 3(2) and (3) of the Data Protection Act 2018 (‘the DPA 
2018’) and means any information relating to an identified or identifiable living individual. 
An identifiable living individual is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in 
particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location 
data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, 
genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of the individual. 
We have concluded that, in this instance, the information requested contains third party 
personal data, specifically the names of some individuals who attended meetings of the 
LGBTQ+ Expert Panel. 
Under Section 40(2) of the FOIA, personal data is exempt from release if disclosure would 
breach one of the data protection principles set out in Article 5 of the GDPR.  We consider 
the principle being most relevant in this instance as being the first. This states that personal 
data must be: 
“processed lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner in relation to the data subject” 
The lawful basis that is most relevant in relation to a request for information under the 
FOIA is Article 6(1)(f). This states: 
“processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the 
controller or by a third party except where such interests are overridden by the interests or 
fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject which require protection of personal 
data, in particular where the data subject is a child”. 

In considering the application of Article 6(1)(f) in the context of a request for information 
under FOIA it is necessary to consider the following three-part test:- 
  The Legitimate interest test: Whether a legitimate interest is being pursued in the 
request for information;  
  The Necessity test: Whether disclosure of the information/confirmation or denial 
that it is held is necessary to meet the legitimate interest in question; 
  The Balancing test: Whether the above interests override the interests, 
fundamental rights and freedoms of the data subject. 
Our consideration of these tests is set out below: 
1. Legitimate interests 
Freedom of information requests are handled as ‘applicant blind’ and public 
authorities or not entitled to speculate on why a requester seeks information. To that 
end, and whilst the Welsh Government acknowledges the general interest in 

Section 40 information. 
openness and transparency, we can identify no specific legitimate interest in 
publishing this information.  
2. Is disclosure necessary? 
In terms of transparency, how the LGBTQ+ Action Plan was developed through 
discussions with the LGBTQ+ Expert Panel can be satisfied by the release of the 
remainder of the information. The identification of the individuals involved in that 
process is not necessary to meet that interest and, as stated above, no specific 
legitimate interest to release the information has been identified.   
3. The balance between legitimate interests and the data subject’s interests or 
fundamental rights and freedoms 

The Welsh Government believes there is a risk to the fundamental rights and 
freedoms of the data subjects if this information is released, as evidenced by 
internet articles, posts, forums and blogs personally and professionally attacking 
those who have so far been named as being involved with the LGBTQ+ Action 
Plan. These redactions are intended to prevent online trolling and further 
identification of any additional individuals. We believe these harms, alongside the 
release of the remainder of the information, outweigh any legitimate interest in the 
release of the information. 
As release of the information would not be legitimate under Article 6(1)(f), and as no 
other condition of Article 6 is deemed to apply, release of the information would not 
be lawful within the meaning of the first data protection principle. It has therefore 
been withheld under section 40 of the Freedom of Information Act. Section 40 is an 
absolute exemption and not subject to the public interest test.