Dear Edge Hill University,
1. How many members of staff were employed at your institution (as of 1st November 2018)?
2. During your recruitment process, how do you ask candidates about their title? Does your online application system have default title choices, e.g Mr/Mrs/Ms? If yes, what is the list available? Do you offer a free-form box to enter title? Is title a required field on your online application form?
3.1. During your recruitment process, how do you ask candidates about their gender identity outside of your Equal Opportunity Monitoring form? If so, does your online application system have default gender options, e.g Female/Male? If yes, what is the list available? Do you offer a free form box to enter gender? Is gender a required field on your online application form?
3.2 On your equal opportunities monitoring form for recruitment do you ask for candidates to state their gender? If yes, what questions are asked and what options are provided? Are candidates able to select an option which is not provided?
3.3 Do you ask candidates about the sex/gender they were assigned at birth? Do you ask if candidates if they are transgender? If so, what are the questions you ask and what are the options provided?
3.4 Do you ask candidates any other questions about their gender identity? If yes, what are they and what options do you provide?
4. If such information is available, what is the breakdown (in percentages) of sex or gender/gender identity of employed staff at your institution? What is the percentage of employed staff at your institution who do not identify as the sex assigned at birth? Please provide this information as 1st November 2018
5. Do you have a transgender equality policy? If so, please attach and return with your response. If not – is there a transgender section in your wider equality policy? If yes, please attach and return with your response.
6. What is the procedure to support staff who transition whilst in role at the university?
- How would they change their name, title and gender marker?
- What would you do if a member of staff at the university wanted to use a gender that was not currently listed on your system?
- Do you have a central point of contact for administering changes across all IT systems?
- How is the policy made available to managers and staff? Do you provide specific training?
7. Do any of your policies and procedures specifically include non-binary people (those who do not identify as male or as female), and if so, in what ways? Please attach any policies that specifically mention non-binary people.
8. Across university systems (such as HR, name badges, IT accounts etc) what title choices are available for members of staff at your institution? (e.g Ms, Mrs, Mr etc). Are titles compulsory for people to state?
9. What provisions have you put in place for transgender (including non-binary) members of staff at your institution to ensure that these staff members feel comfortable and included at your organisation?
Jens and LJ
Our Reference: FOI181914348
Thank you for your recent correspondence requesting information relating to Edge Hill University. Your request was received in our offices 29th November 2018 and is being processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Under the Act, the University is required to provide you with a response within 20 working days. I will write to you in response to your request for information no later than 2nd January, 2019.
The Freedom of Information Act includes a number of exemptions to releasing information. Some of these are qualified exemptions, which require us to consider whether it is in the public interest to disclose or withhold the information. In these circumstances, we may need more time to consider your request, and if this is the case, I will write to you by the date above to inform you of when you can expect to receive a response.
If you have any queries regarding this request, please do not hesitate to contact me, quoting the above reference number in all future correspondence.
Assistant Planning Officer
Edge Hill University
Our reference: FOI181914348
In relation to your recent request below, I can confirm it has now been processed in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Please find requested information attached.
We trust that this information fully answers your request, however if you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to ask for an internal review, quoting the above reference number in all communications. Internal review requests should be submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your original letter and should be addressed to: Dr C Hutchinson-Howorth, Director of Strategic Planning at the University.
If you are not content with the outcome of your review you may apply directly to the Information Commissioner requesting he review our decision. You must submit your complaint in writing to the Commissioner within six months of receiving the response to review letter. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: The Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Assistant Planning Officer
Edge Hill University
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now