Independance of Australia

Neil Russell-Taylor made this Freedom of Information request to House of Lords

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Response to this request is long overdue. By law, under all circumstances, House of Lords should have responded by now (details). You can complain by requesting an internal review.

Neil Russell-Taylor

Dear House of Lords,

Has the Act to establish an Australian Constitution "An Act to Constitute the Commonwealth of Australia UK 1900", been repealed, and has an act of the UK parliament (with Royal Assent) been granted for the independance of Australia? (If so When)

I ask this only as Australia is the only country in the world that does not celebrate its independance (on the 26th Jan, every year 'Australia Day' is a national holiday, but is in fact the day Cpt Cook landed)

Yours faithfully,

Neil-Matthews Taylor

House Of Lords Information Office, House of Lords

Thank you for your email.

The House of Lords Information Office receives large numbers of e-mails and we aim to reply within 10 working days. If you need the information sooner please telephone the House of Lords Information Office on 020 7219 3107.

The following information may answer many of your enquiries.

House of Lords
If you have access to the internet you may find the answers to most of your queries on the House of Lords pages of the Parliament website:

House of Lords Press Office
If you are a member of the press and wish to contact the House of Lords Press Office please call 020 7219 8550.

Judicial Questions
For information about appeal cases, please contact the Supreme Court:

The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom
Parliament Square
London SW1P 3BD
Tel: 020 7960 1991/1992
Fax: 020 7960 1901

Appointments to the House of Lords
For queries about appointments to the House of Lords, contact the House of Lords Appointments Commission, which is a separate independent body and NOT part of the House of Lords:
The House of Lords Appointments Commission
35 Great Smith Street
Tel: 020 7276 2005 (020 7276 2315 for an Information Pack)<>

Please be aware that blind copied emails will not be received.

Thank you.

show quoted sections

R Wright left an annotation ()

The website contains an official record of Acts of Parliament that they are still in force and the amendments that have been made to them.

FOI LORDS, House of Lords

Dear Neil-Matthews Taylor,

Thank- you for your enquiry.

The following entry in Wikipedia should answer your questions:


This includes external links to ComLaw (an Australian Government website)
and to the UK Government’s legislation website at
[2] (referred to as the UK Statute Law Database in
the Wikipedia entry).

I hope this is helpful.

Yours sincerely,

Frances Grey

------------------- Original Message

show quoted sections

Neil Russell-Taylor


Thanks for the reply however I was expecting something a tad more professional and indeed accurate, as a page from Wikipedia is not what I would hang my hat on as evidence in a court trial.

Would you be so kind as to answer the main question:
Has the act in question been repealed?
What act or document could you propose granted Australia its independence?

Yours sincerely,

Neil Russell-Taylor

FOI LORDS, House of Lords

Dear Neil Russell-Taylor,

I hope the following advice and assistance will help you to find the
information you require.

The answer to your first question can be found by searching the UK
Government's website [1] As R. Wright has already
advised you, this contains an official record of Acts of Parliament that
are still in force and the amendments that have been made to them. You
should search under `title' for the Act you are interested in.
Alternatively, you can find this information by consulting Halsbury's
Statutes, available in reference libraries.

The answer to your second question can be found from the official website
of the Parliament of Australia at:


I suggest you scroll down to 1986.

All of these sources should be considered as official and authoritative.

We always try to be helpful when dealing with enquiries but please be
aware that the purpose of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 is to
provide access to recorded information not already available. The Act does
not require a public authority to answer questions if that would mean
creating new information or giving an opinion or judgement that is not
already recorded, nor does it require an authority to conduct research
from published information sources.

You may, if dissatisfied with the treatment of your enquiry, ask the House
of Lords to conduct an internal review. Requests for an internal review
should be addressed to [email address] or to the Freedom of
Information Officer, House of Lords, London SW1A 0PW. Arrangements will be
made for someone who has not been involved in dealing with your enquiry to
conduct an internal review. Our aim is to complete internal reviews within
20 working days.

If, following this review, you remain dissatisfied with the House's
treatment of your enquiry then you may take your complaint to the
Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow,
Cheshire. SK9 5AF.

Yours sincerely,

Frances Grey

show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .