If the bank pays 25% of its profits back to the treasury, where does the other 75% go?

Mr Tan made this Freedom of Information request to Bank of England

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear Bank of England,

1.You have previously stated that 25% of the banks post-tax profits go back to the HM Treasury and that "The overall effect is that the Bank and HM Treasury will normally share post-tax profits equally. ". In regards to this, where or whom does the rest of the profits that get shared equally with HM Treasury, go to other than HM Treasury. You say the "Bank". Are you referring to the bank's private shareholders or another entity that is not stated and could you please make it clear who or what it is that are sharing the banks profits with HM Treasury.

2. If the bank is nationalised and publicly owned, why do not ALL the profits of the bank go back to HM Treasury? It seems rather counter-intuitive.

3. If there are shareholders/people receiving profits from the bank could you please give a list of them, I would like to know who these people are that get our central banks profits instead of the treasury.

4. If you are unable to give a list or description of said people or entities, could you please explain why they are exempt from UK law stating that all companies be required to name their shareholders on their annual returns.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear from you soon

Yours faithfully,

Mr Tan

Enquiries, Bank of England

Dear Mr Tan

We acknowledge receipt of your email dated 2 September 2014 below (our Ref: 107087).

We will reply in due course.

Information Compliance Team, Public Information & Enquiries Group Bank of England |Threadneedle Street|London|EC2R 8AH|+44 20 7601 4878 [Bank of England request email]

show quoted sections

Enquiries, Bank of England

1 Attachment

Dear Mr Tan

Please find attached a response to your e-mail of 2 September below.

Yours sincerely

Information Compliance Team, Public Information & Enquiries Group
Bank of England |Threadneedle Street|London|EC2R 8AH|+44 20 7601 4878 [Bank of England request email]

show quoted sections