HPV vaccination

Caron Ryalls made this Freedom of Information request to The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation,

In the draft minutes of the HPV subcommittee meeting of 22 September 2014 it is stated that:

V. Meet with vaccine manufacturers
10. "Both vaccines had similar kinetics in terms of waning and duration of protection against vaccine HPV types and that duration of protection was potentially lifelong."
- What evidence currently exists to confirm the duration of protection for each of the HPV vaccines (Cervarix and Gardasil) and what is the accepted duration of protection for each of the vaccines? Has any evidence to date shown a waning of protection for either HPV16 or HPV 18 in each vaccine at any time point post vaccination?

And...

"Vaccination against non-vaccine HR HPV strains may be less important in the UK setting where more than 80% of HPV positive cervical cancers have been caused by the vaccine types HPV16/18 compared to a global figure of 70%"
- I have been searching for data on the HPV typing of cervical cancers for nearly 4 years and have been consistently told by UK Dept of Health, Public Health England and cancer charities that this information does not exist and cervical cancers have not previously been HPV typed, so your statement surprises me.
- First of all, as HPV is a necessary factor in cervical cancer, shouldn't 100% of cervical cancers be HPV positive, and as such is there any need to refer to 'HPV positive' cervical cancers? How many cervical cancers are HPV negative?
- Secondly, please provide the evidence on which your statement was based that 80% of HPV positive cervical cancers have been caused by Vaccine types HPV16/18? What is the time frame for this analysis? What is the breakdown for HPV16 and HPV18 in these cervical cancer cases? What HPV types make up the remaining 20% of HPV positive cervical cancers? If this statement was based on an analysed sample group, please give details of the sample group, particularly the sample size used.

IX. Vaccine Safety
36. "The subcommittee received a report from MHRA and noted that no serious risks have been identified associated with either HPV vaccine in the UK and that the safety of the vaccines remains under continued review."
- Please provide a copy of the MHRA report sent to the HPV subcommittee.
- Please confirm if the JCVI or the HPV subcommittee is aware of, or has discussed reports of the development of Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome (POTS) post HPV vaccination which was flagged up to the EMA by Danish Health Authorities (and which the EMA is supposedly investigating), highlighted in two peer reviewed publications by US neurologist and autonomic specialist Dr Blitshteyn, and highlighted in several other peer reviewed journals by other scientists. Please provide all correspondence relating to the discussion/awareness of the development of POTS following HPV vaccination, including any reports or correspondence with EMA.

Yours faithfully,

Caron Ryalls

FOI, The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation

 

 

Dear Caron Ryalls

 

Public Health England acknowledges your request for information. You will
receive a response within 20 working days.

 

Kind regards

 

 

Freedom of Information Officer

show quoted sections

FOI, The Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation

1 Attachment

Dear Ms Ryalls

Please find attached a response to your request for information.

Kind regards
Freedom of Information Officer.

show quoted sections