This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'How does a uk citizen open a treasury direct account similar to us citizens'.

Information Rights Unit
HM Treasury
1 Horse Guards Road
Lynne Button
By email
4 May 2023
Ref: FOI2023/06643
Dear Lynne Button
Freedom of Information Act 2000
Thank you for your enquiry of 1 April 2023, which we have considered under the 
terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the FOI Act).
You asked for the following information:
“In the US individuals are able to open a treasury direct account. As a UK 
individual what is the UK equivalent to opening a treasury account”
The FOI Act provides a right to recorded information. In order to exercise this 
entitlement, a request must describe the specific recorded information 
sought. We believe that the terms of your enquiry do not constitute a valid 
request for recorded information within the meaning of section 8(1)(c) of the FOI 
Act, as you have asked for an explanation, whereas the FOI Act exists to provide 
access to recorded information.
It may however be helpful to note that currently there are two main options for 
retail investors to purchase and hold gilts. This is through the DMO’s Purchase 
and Sale Service (P&SS) and buying gilts through a nominee account via financial
The Purchase and Sale Service (P&SS) is offered by the UK Debt Management 
Office (DMO) and allows investors to directly buy and sell gilts on the secondary 
market. This service is primarily aimed at small value investors residing in the 
UK. Gilts bought via the P&SS are registered in the name of the individual(s) so 
they will have legal entitlement to receive interest and redemption payments 
The second option is for investors to buy gilts through a nominee account via 
financial intermediaries such as banks or brokers. Here, the nominee has legal 
entitlement to receive interest and redemption payments and has to facilitate 
these payments to the underlying investor.
Alternatively, individuals can purchase retail savings products, such as premium 
bonds or green savings bonds, through NS&I. NS&I’s core remit is to raise cost-
effective financing for the government, while balancing the interests of 
taxpayers, savers, and the wider financial sector. In effect, customers’ deposits 
with NS&I are a form of government borrowing; it is however worth noting that 
accessing savings products via NS&I is distinct from accessing gilts via the DMO.

If you have any queries about this letter, please contact us. Please quote the 
reference number above in any future communications.
Yours sincerely
Information Rights Unit

Copyright notice
Most documents HM Treasury supplies in response to a Freedom of Information 
request, including this letter, continue to be protected by Crown copyright. This 
is because they will have been produced by Government officials as part of their 
work. You are free to use these documents for your information, for any non-
commercial research you may be doing and for news reporting. Any other re-use,
for example commercial publication, will require the permission of the copyright 
holder. Crown copyright is managed by The National Archives and you can find 
details on the arrangements for re-using Crown copyright material at:
Your right to complain under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
If you are not happy with this reply, you can request a review by writing to HM 
Treasury, Information Rights Unit, 1 Horse Guards Road, London SW1A 2HQ or by
emailing us at the address below.  Any review request must be made within 40 
working days of the date of this letter.
It would assist our review if you set out which aspects of the reply concern you 
and why you are dissatisfied.
If you are not content with the outcome of the review, you may apply directly to 
the Information Commissioner for a decision. Generally, the Commissioner will 
not make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure 
provided by HM Treasury which is outlined above.
The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: The Information 
Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF 
(or via their website at:

Document Outline