How do I make a claim for financial redress against the DWP?

Henry King made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Work and Pensions

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Department for Work and Pensions,

1. I understand claimants can make a claim for financial redress for maladministration against the DWP. Please provide me with any recorded information held by the DWP stating exactly what constitutes maladministration. Including the contact details of the relevant government department: email address, telephone number and physical address.

2. I have been advised that this can only be done through the Jobcentre where I am registered, is this correct?

3. Please me provide with all the guidance used by DWP staff when processing and/or challenging a claim for financial redress. Please also include copies of template forms completed by DWP staff and claimants in this process, including screenshots of electronic forms. Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Henry King

DWP freedom-of-information-requests, Department for Work and Pensions

This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been accepted by the DWP FoI mailbox.
By the next working day your request will be forwarded to the relevant
information owner within the Department who will respond to you direct. 
If your email is a Freedom of Information request you can normally
expect a response within 20 working days.
Should you have any further queries in connection with this request do
please contact us.
For further information on the Freedom of Information Act within DWP
please click on the link below.

show quoted sections


Visible links
1. on behalf of Operations FOI Team, Department for Work and Pensions

7 Attachments

Dear Henry King,

I am writing in response to your request for information, received 7

Your response is attached.

Yours sincerely,

DWP Operations FOI Team