Dear Ministry of Defence,
Please provide the following data:
1. The total number of service personnel that were discharged medically for the period 1 Apr 2013 to 31 Mar 2018? This is to then be broken down into each Service, year of discharge/termination, sex, age, rank and reason(s) for medical discharge eg. physical injury, mental health, illness, disease.
2. From that period, how many were initially awarded each tier and the percentage eg. 05 pension Tier 1, 05 pension Tier 2, 05 pension Tier 3, 75 pension etc. Then break those down by Service, year of discharge, sex, age, rank and reason(s) for medical discharge. If the data is available, please break down the physical injuries down enough by types eg. musculoskeletal or lower limb, whichever is available
3. The number of personnel that appealed the tier they were awarded (or any other form of complaint)?
4. How many were successful in their initial appeal and the percentage? Break those down by Service, year of discharge, sex, age, rank and reason(s) for medical discharge
5. For people that took longer that one appeal, tribunal or complaint, how many times did they take from discharge to final success until they were successful?
6. What is the average time for appeals to be successful from the date of their discharge and also from the receipt of their first appeal. What is the longest time that an appeal and/or complaint process has taken for anyone in this period?
7. What is the earliest date of discharge of the person that is still ongoing in the appeal/tribunal process?
8. How many personnel are currently in the process of tribunal? Break those down by Service, year of discharge, sex, age, rank and reason(s) for medical discharge
9. What processes are in place to review cases when they have been an inordinate time and people have been unable to cope without a medical pension?
10. What training is given to staff throughout the department(s) that deal with personnel appealing their pension, for mental health awareness and understanding to allow them to understand how small actions in their work can be detrimental to those personnel?
Dear M Janes
Your request has been logged under our reference FOI2018/05398 and the
target date for response is 18th May.
Dear M Janes,
Please see attached response to your recent FOI Request
DBS Secretariat Team