HMO Register 2018

rupert wallace made this Freedom of Information request to Cannock Chase District Council

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was refused by Cannock Chase District Council.

Dear Cannock Chase District Council,

"I searched on your website and couldn't find a copy of your 2018 HMO Licence Register as prescribed under the Housing Act 2004 s.232 (1) and the information that is required to be maintained within the register is described in the The Licensing and Management of Houses in Multiple occupation and Other Houses (Miscellaneous Provisions) (England) Regulations 2006.

The latter is extracted here for convenience:

Registers of Licences

11.—(1) The following particulars are prescribed for each entry in a register established and maintained under section 232(1)(a) of the Actin respect of a licence granted under Part 2 (HMOs) or 3 (selective licensing) of the Act which is in force—

(a) HMO Property Address
(b) HMO Licence Holder(s) Full Name
(c) HMO Licence Holders Correspondence Address
(d) HMO Managers Name
(e) HMO Managers Address
(f) A short description of the licensed HMO or house;
(g) A summary of the conditions of the licence;
(h) Date of Licence Commencement
(I) Date of Licence Expiry
(j) Duration of Licence
(k) Licence Number
(l) Number of Households
(m) Maximum Number of Occupants
(n) Number of Units/Bedrooms
(o) Number of Self Contained Units
(p) Number of Non Self Contained Units
(q) Number of Storeys
(r) Number of Kitchens
(s) Number of Reception
(t) Number of Bathrooms
(u) Number of Separate WCs

A reply using Excel format would be very helpful.

Thanks very much in advance."

Yours faithfully,

Mr wallace

Info Manager, Cannock Chase District Council

Thank you for your email.

If it is in regard to a Freedom of Information request, your request is
being considered and, subject to the points made below, you will receive
the information requested as promptly as possible within the statutory
timescale of 20 working days from today as defined by the Freedom of
Information Act 2000.

Any personal information you provide in relation to this request will only
be used for the purposes of processing your request for information. Your
information will only be passed on to departments or staff within Cannock
Chase Council for the purposes of compiling a response to your request. We
will not forward your request to any other organisations or persons
external to the Council. Cannock Chase Council are the Data Controllers
and may be contacted at; [1][Cannock Chase District Council request email] .


Information Manager

Cannock Chase Council


show quoted sections

Info Manager, Cannock Chase District Council

Dear Mr Wallace


Thank you for your request for information.


Unfortunately the information you requested is exempt from release under
section 21 of the Freedom of Information Act (Information accessible via
other means to the applicant)


The Council is aware that this information is available on
request under the Housing Act 2004. Section 232 of the Housing Act 2004
states that every local housing authority must maintain a
register of licences for houses in multiple occupation (HMO) (subsection
(1)). The register must contain prescribed particulars (which, by virtue
of SIs 2006 No.373 and 2007 No.1903, include the name and address of the
holder) (subsection(3)), it must be made available for inspection (subsection
(4)) and a
copy of the register (or an extract) must be supplied, subject to
payment of a fee, on request (subsection (5)). 
Section 21(2)(b) of the FOI Act states: ‘information is to be taken to be
reasonably accessible to the applicant if it is information which the
public authority or any other person is obliged
by or under any enactment to communicate (otherwise than by making the
information available for inspection) to
members of the public on request, whether free of charge or on payment.’  
Consequently, the information you have requested
is technically exempt from disclosure under the FOI Act, due
to our obligations under section 232 of the Housing Act 2004. 

Releasing the information to you under the Housing Act 2004 


The Council is aware of the Information Commissioner’s Office
(the ICO) views regarding releasing HMO landlord details.


The ICO has advised
that as the duty of the Council under the Housing Act 2004 is to provide
a copy of the register (which will include the name and address of each licence
holder by virtue of that duty) to a requester, such a disclosure
of personal data is lawful and there would
be no breach of the first data protection principle. However, they have
also advised the following: 
‘It is the form in which the register is provided where it may be
considered unfair and subsequently breach the DPA, such as publishing
the full register on the internet.  The requirement under the
Housing Act is just to provide a copy of the register on request, there
is no obligation to make it available electronically. This may raise a
principle 1 issue, since publication on the internet may be
unfair and excessive given the potential for ease
of access etc. by a large number of people.’ 
Please note that under the Housing Act 2004 the Council is not obliged
to make the information available to you
electronically. As per ICO guidance the Council should treat all requesters equally, and
the Council should only disclose information 
under the FOI Act if the Council would disclose it to anyone else
who asked, therefore release of information under the FOI Act should be
considered as if it were being released to the world at large.
Consequently, the Council is not able to send the register to you
as this would potentially breach the first data protection principle.  
We would therefore advise that you email
[1] [email address] to arrange a viewing of the
register and to request certified copies of the
register as per your right to do so under the Housing Act 2004.  


For queries relating to how your request has been handled in relation to
the Freedom of Information Act 2000 please feel free to contact me. If you
are then not satisfied with our response you can complain to us at


Following the exhaustion of our complaints procedure you can also complain
to the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner's Office

Wycliffe House

Water Lane




Telephone:   01625 545 700


Yours sincerely,



Information Manager

Cannock Chase Council



show quoted sections