Dear Department for Work and Pensions,
Below is an extract of the Contract between the DWP and Atos Origin IT Services, trading as Atos Healthcare, dated 15 March 2005.
1. Unsuitable for calling to a Medical Examination Centre.
Age >75 years
Age <12 years
Both Blind and Deaf
Registered Blind (needs to be seen in own environment)
Cases accepted under the Special Rules defining Terminal illness.
Amputation of both legs
Autistic Spectrum Disorder / Autism
Macmillan Nurse attending.
Motor Neurone Disease
Severe Mental Impairment
Severe Learning Difficulty
Total Parenteral Nutrition
2. Reference to Medical Advisor required for advice.
Bone Marrow Transplant
Brittle Bone Disease
Non Hodgkin's Lmphoma
On Morphine / MST
Registered partially sighted
Systemic Lupus Erythematosis
3. Tentatively invite to Medical Examination Centre.
Agoraphobia (offer taxi)
Bipalar Affective Disorder / Bipolar Disease Manic Depression
Cerebrovascular Accident / CVA
Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / ME
Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Sickle Cell Anaemia
Subarachnoid Haemorrage / SAH
4. Invite to Medical Examination Centre.
Chronic Obstructive Airways Disease
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
Coronary Artery Disease
Coronary Heart Disease
Ischaemic Heart Disease
Irritable Bowel Syndrome / IBS
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
Peripheral Vascular Disease
Prolapsed Intervertebral Disc
Rheumatic Heart Disease
Valvular Heart Disease
5. Any other Diagnosis.
Not listed above should be referred to a Medical Adviser for advice
Here are my questions:-
1. Is there a current updated list of illnesses and disabilities? If so could you provide me with copies of the successive year on year lists with their additional entries to present date?
2. Am I correct in understanding that if a claimant’s illness/disability is not contained within the list then it is imperative that the HCP is required under said contract to contact a qualified Medical Advisor to ascertain if they are to be called in for a ESA WCA?
3. If an illness/disability is not on the aforementioned list at what point in the process is the Medical Advisor contacted?
4. Am I correct in believing that this should be carried out by the HCP who initially documents the ESA85A to establish if a claimant is required to attend and ESA WCA?
5. In this situation, given the HCP has to request additional input from a Medical Advisor, should this be documented on the ESA85A to provide clarity about the process to the claimant?
6. If this information is not required to be documented on the ESA85A is the input of the Medical Advisor documented anywhere else stating his/her grounds given for requiring a claimant to attend or not attend an ESA WCA?
7. If this information is not required to be contained on the ESA85A who do you contact to ascertain the date, information/reason and name of the Medical Advisor?
8. If the disability/illness is not on the aforementioned contract list and the HCP documenting the ESA85A only has in their possession the claimants ESA50 and a MED3 and said HCP is unable to assesses the level of disability based on this evidence is the HCP required to obtain medical evidence from the claimants GP via an ESA113 to aid their judgment based on the GP’s general practise records before implementing a WCA? Or does the Medical Advisor implement this process?
This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been accepted by the DWP FoI mailbox.
By the next working day your request will be forwarded to the relevant
information owner within the Department who will respond to you direct.
If your email is a Freedom of Information request you can normally
expect a response within 20 working days.
Should you have any further queries in connection with this request do
please contact us.
For further information on the Freedom of Information Act within DWP
please click on the link below.
Please find enclosed a response to your request for information under the
Freedom of Information Act. The excel document that is embedded into
Version 2 of the Guidance has been attached separately for you.
<<Worksheet.pdf>> <<3568-2766 Response Donna.pdf>> <<Disability Living
Allowance Attendance Allowance in MECs Guide for Admin and Medical Staff
DLAAA_in_MECs_Guide_for_Administration_and_Medical_Staff v1 Final.pdf>>
Medical Services Contract Correspondence Unit, Department for Work and
Pensions, Room 306, Block 3, Norcross, Norcross Lane, Blackpool, FY5 3TA
Tel 01253 611556, extn 69956
Please consider the environment before printing
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now