This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Guidance on closing ESA claims'.

link to page 4 link to page 4  
Complex needs overview  
What is meant by complex needs 
What are complex needs in Universal Credit? 
Signs, behaviours and language   
Difficulties or concerns with written communications, numbers or language 
District Provision Tool 
A claimant can be considered to have complex needs if their current 
circumstances present particular challenges with: 
•  accessing Universal Credit  
•  using the Service 
•  moving towards work and financial independence 
When a claimant with complex needs contacts DWP, their customer journey 
must be equal in quality and outcome to those whose needs are not complex. 
While working with the claimant, it may become clear they need additional 
support. It is important to ask them and record what additional support they need 
to make sure it’s available every time the claimant needs it.  
This will provide them with equal access to products and services and enable 
them to follow the standard claimant journey if appropriate. 
Some claimants may be unwilling to tell us they are experiencing difficult life 
events or personal circumstances. There may be signs, behaviours and 
they use that suggest they may have complex needs. 
Support may be put in place on a one-off basis for a short, medium or long-term 
period of time, or for recurring periods depending upon the claimant’s needs. 
What is meant by complex needs 
Complex needs reflect personal circumstances and life events that present an 
individual with extra challenges in accessing Universal Credit, using the Service 
and moving towards work and financial independence.  
A claimant with complex needs may be someone who: 

•  is experiencing difficult life events or personal circumstances 
•  has difficulty in dealing with the demands of our processes at the time they 
need to access and use a service 
They may not be able to access the service through on-line or telephone 
channels and may benefit from extra or face-to-face support.  
Some claimants will have obvious physical disabilities which mean they may 
need extra personal support or that adjustments are required to enable them to 
access services. Other claimants may have conditions that are less obvious.  
Complex needs are not always a static state. 
It is important to remember that although the circumstances described in the 
following sections may suggest there are complex needs, the claimant may 
consider themselves perfectly capable of managing without the need for support. 
We must always be mindful not to consider just the claimant’s circumstances 
alone, but how those circumstances affect their ability to access Universal Credit, 
continue to use the Service and move towards work. 
We must avoid making assumptions about what a claimant can or cannot do to 
help themselves. 
What are complex needs in Universal Credit? 
Universal Credit claimants may need additional or alternative support if it is likely 
they will have difficulty: 
•  accessing Universal Credit 
•  proving eligibility for Universal Credit 
•  fulfilling Labour Market requirements 
•  maintaining their Universal Credit account 
•  managing their money 
•  opening a bank account 
The claimant may also experience difficulties with: 
•  understanding information 
•  interpreting situations 
•  making decisions 
•  giving consent 
•  communicating information or giving their views 
•  requesting specialist or additional help and support 
These are examples and not complete lists. 

Citizens Advice (England and Wales) and Citizens Advice Scotland are delivering 
‘Help to Claim’ support to claimants who are making a new claim for Universal 
Credit or moving from a Legacy benefit to Universal Credit because of a change 
of circumstances. See Help to Claim.  
Claimants  with  complex  needs  must  be  able  to  access  Recoverable  Hardship 
Payments if required. This provides financial protection for those whose benefit is 
reduced by a sanction or a fraud Loss of Benefit penalty.  
People from abroad may also have complex needs. See Refugees and asylum 
The following are examples of life events, personal circumstances, health issues 
or disabilities which could affect a claimant's ability to access and use Universal 
Credit services. However, some claimants may not need additional support even 
though they are experiencing one or more of these: 
•  adoption - children 
•  age - older person 
•  age - older person - financial abuse (pensions) 
•  age – young person aged 16 or 17 
•  a bereavement, death, recently bereaved 
•  autism 
•  are blind or partially sighted 
•  caring responsibilities 
•  children - childcare 
•  child or children in considerable distress 
•  children who leave care, care leavers 
•  crime – victim of crime 
•  victims of modern slavery or human trafficking 
•  cultural barriers 
•  language barriers were English is not their first language 
•  deaf or hearing impaired – Using the Relay UK (previously Next 
Generation Text) 
•  debt or indebted 
•  divorce or termination of a civil partnership 
•  domestic abuse   
•  drug and alcohol dependency 
•  gender recognition or transgender 
•  homelessness  - a  person without accommodation, in temporary 
accommodation, frequent change of address 
•  Internet use is restricted (for example, due to criminal conviction) 
•  just left hospital 

•  leaving the Armed Forces, ex-armed forces personnel and their spouses 
or partners 
•  learning disabilities 
•  MAPPA individuals (Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements) 
•  mental health conditions – Reasonable Adjustments information  
•  memory loss caused by medication 
•  Offender, ex offender, prisoners or detainees 
•  physical disabilities 
•  race - immigration status, refugee, asylum seeker, persons arriving from 
•  reading and writing difficulties 
•  redundancy 
•  retirement 
•  rural isolation 
•  suicide and self-harm – declaration, or if there is a risk to themselves or 
•  supported by the Supported Families Programme  
These are examples and not a complete list. 
Young people aged 16 and 17 will not usually be able to get Universal Credit in 
their own right but there are some exceptions. 
Young people are also expected to be in education or training (with the exception 
of young people in Scotland where there is no requirement to stay in education or 
training until aged 18). For full details about exceptions to 16-17 year olds 
claiming Universal Credit, and young people who are not in employment, 
education or training, see Under 18s. 
For disabled claimants, DWP is legally required under the Equality Act 2010 to 
provide reasonable adjustments - for example, Relay UK (previously Next 
Generation Text), email, providing information in braille or audio CD format.  
It is very important that interaction with the claimant takes place to determine 
what tailored support or reasonable adjustments they require. This is to ensure 
equal access to products and services.  
Signs, behaviours and language 
Claimants may talk about a life event (for example, the death of a relative) or 
suggest during the course of a conversation that they may have complex 
personal circumstances (for example, if a claimant has no ID this may indicate 
they are homeless, have left prison or could have fled domestic abuse).  

There may be a combination of factors which means that a claimant needs 
additional support to access benefits and use Universal Credit services. 
When communicating with a claimant, certain circumstances and characteristics 
could indicate that an individual may require additional support, for example if 
they are: 
•  in distress 
•  not understanding what is being said 
•  scared or fearful 
•  always attending appointments with a third party - such as a partner 
•  giving brief or one word responses 
•  upset 
•  frustrated 
•  giving inappropriate responses which do not answer the question asked 
•  continuously avoiding eye contact 
•  having difficulty processing or remembering what has been said 
•  holding a parallel conversation with someone else (who may be their 
advocate or appointee) which suggests face to face contact might be 
•  demonstrating unacceptable customer behaviour 
These are examples and not a complete list. 
Difficulties or concerns dealing with written communications, 
numbers or language 
A claimant may display behaviour that indicates they have reading and writing 
difficulties, or difficulties dealing with numbers or language. This may include 
being unable (or reluctant) to: 
•  complete or read paperwork 
•  navigate telephony or online services 
•  manage money or budget because they do not have adequate numerical 
skills or declare that they are in debt 
•  understand verbal communications well enough to engage with DWP staff 
Universal Credit staff may also notice: 
•  errors on completed online or paper application forms 
•  that the individual is unable to spell out words when requested during 
telephone calls 
•  that English is not the claimant’s first language 

Not all claimants who have difficulties or concerns dealing with written 
communications, numbers or language will need support to access Universal 
Credit services. Therefore, it is vital for staff to interact with the individual 
claimant to determine if they need support and determine what their additional 
requirements are. 
For information and assistance in communicating with claimants whose first or 
preferred language is not English, refer to the Interpreter and Translation 
District Provision Tool  
The District Provision Tool (DPT) provides access to the full range of provision 
and support delivered by Jobcentre Plus, Education and Skills Funding Agency 
(ESFA), Skills Development Scotland, Careers Wales other providers, local 
authorities, independent and volunteer charity organisations, health services and 
addiction treatment. It hosts all the available provision and support within a 
district and nationally.  
The Complex Needs section on the DPT supports colleagues to identify, own and 
take appropriate action to support claimants with complex needs, including 
supporting organisations claimants can be signposted to. Each district has their 
own local version of the DPT and are responsible for keeping it up to date.  
To locate the relevant DPT, type the claimant’s local Jobcentre into the building 
directory on the intranet. This will identify which part of the country the claimant 
lives in so they can be signposted appropriately. See District Provision Tool