Gas Fracking

Ian Holt made this Freedom of Information request to Lancashire County Council

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Lancashire County Council did not have the information requested.

Dear Lancashire County Council,

With the renewed speculative exploration of shale gas under Caudrilla's License in Lancashire I ask that you provide a complete and comprehensive breakdown of all chemicals used by the company (Caudrilla and its subcontractors)to extract the gas along with high pressure water usage.

I would also request that, due to the very nature of possible toxic contamination, that you provide the necessary documents stating theirs (Caudrilla and its subcontractors) and your provision for disposal of said contaminants.

Yours faithfully,

Ian Holt

Freedom of Information, Lancashire County Council

Dear Mr Holt,

Request for information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your email in which you request the
disclosure of information under the provisions of the above Act.

The deadline date for issuing you with a full response is 22 July. We will
endeavour to provide a response well in advance of this date, however,
should we envisage any delays, or require more details from you, we will
contact you immediately.

If you have any queries about the above, please do not hesitate to contact
us, quoting ref. 819.714

Yours sincerely,

Mr K Chippindale

On behalf of the ATI Team

Access to Information Team

Lancashire County Council

T: 01772 531116



show quoted sections

Freedom of Information, Lancashire County Council

1 Attachment

  • Attachment

    6th Dec Shale gas North West Monitoring of flowback water update 3 1.pdf

    140K Download View as HTML


Dear Mr Holt,


Request for Environmental Information Regulations 2004


Further to your email dated 21^st June, in which you request the
disclosure of information, we are now in a position to respond.


Please note that Lancashire County Council does not hold this information.
The Environment Agency has powers to require full disclosure of chemicals
used in hydraulic fracturing in England and Wales, both under the Water
Resources Act 1991 and the Environmental Permitting Regulations 2010 and
assesses the hazards presented by fracking fluid additives on a case by
case basis. The chemicals being used by Cuadrilla, the only company so far
to have carried out fracking for shale gas, are listed on Cuadrilla’s


The Environment Agency has decided that operators should disclose, either
on their own websites or on third-party developed websites, the chemical
constituents in fracturing fluids and additives on a well-by-well basis,
along with a brief description of their purpose and any hazards they may
pose to the environment. The following links give the disclosure for the
chemicals used in fracking.






Also a new website has been set up as a resource centre for shale gas and
which will look to publish the chemicals used in wells around Europe;


From the Environment Agency website the following may help the customer



I trust that our response is to your satisfaction, but in the event that
you wish to complain about the manner in which your enquiry has been
handled, you should write in the first instance to The Freedom of
Information Officer, Lancashire County Council, PO Box 78, County Hall,
Preston PR1 8XJ, or email [5][Lancashire County Council request email]


If, after this stage, you remain dissatisfied, you have the right to refer
the matter to the Information Commissioner, whose contact details are as


The Information Commissioner

Wycliffe House

Water Lane





Tel:                   01625 545700

Email:               [6][email address]

Website:           [7]


Your request will now be closed as of this date.


Yours sincerely



Mr A Martin

Access to Information Officer

Freedom of Information

Lancashire County Council

PO Box 78

County Hall




Tel:         (01772) 531116

Email:     [8][Lancashire County Council request email]



show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .