From which government, NGO or Private companies do universities receive funding’ for research?

The request was refused by Heriot-Watt University.

Dear Heriot-Watt University,

I am writing you for a Request of information, under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) on the following topics: “From which government authorities, NGO or Private companies do universities receive funding’ for research?”, a research based on information of public interest, for journalism purposes.

Can you provide information to the following questions?
1) What is the total amount that the university received in funds for research, industrial consultancy fees and/or funded researches from government, NGO or private companies in the last five financial years (from 2013 till 2017)? The information should be broken down by organization or company name, year per year (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), in a CSV format, if possible.
2) A portfolio statement for the funds the university has investments in. If you do not have a copy of it, can you provide a list of funds and corresponding management companies? Details should be broken down year by year, for the last financial years (2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017), provided in a CSV format, if possible.
3) Can you provide details of research projects (such as executive summary and details of reports’ publication, university department and researchers’ names) of projects whose funds exceed £50,000, in the same period of time (2013-2017)?

Yours faithfully,

Santino Pani

Freedom Of Information,, Heriot-Watt University

1 Attachment

Dear Applicant


Firstly, our apologies for the minor delay in responding to your request
which has been caused by closure of the University on the 28^th February
2018, and re-opened this morning due to the severe weather conditions in
Scotland.  Your request has been handled under Scottish legislation, the
Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.


In response to your first and third questions, we proactively publish a
great deal of information regarding our research activities in our
[1]annual accounts (please note that we report in academic and not
calendar years) and we also publish information of our individual research
projects on [2]our website and so this information falls under Section
25(1): Obtainable other than by requesting. Regarding funding received for
from the UK Government, this information is also freely available from 
[3] and so this also falls under Section 25(1):
Obtainable other than by requesting. 


Unfortunately, we do not record the information in the format requested in
your Q3. We estimate that the work involved in our Schools, Institutes and
professional services within the University to produce the information
requested would take more than 40 hours of staff time. Staff time costs
are based on the statutory ceiling of £15 per hour, set out in the FOISA
Fees Regulations (see below). Because the request would therefore cost
over £600 to fulfil, the University is not obliged to process it. (FOISA
Section 12 (1) (1): excessive cost of compliance).  However, if you would
like more detailed information about those projects on our website, please
do not hesitate in contacting us via [4][Heriot-Watt University request email]


In response to your second question, Heriot-Watt University, alongside
other public sector bodies and charities, invests its endowment funds with
CCLA whose investment policies can be found at:




The responsible investment policy currently followed by the Fund can be
viewed at:




We hope you find the above informative. Information regarding our
endowments funds can also be found in our [7]Annual Statement and
financial statements


We have no business need to hold a portfolio statement for the funds the
university that the fund has invested in and so this is exempt from
release under Section 17 of the Scottish Act.


Your right to seek review of our decision


If you are not satisfied with our response or our reasoning set-out above,
you have forty working days from today in which to request a review of our
decision.  Any request should be put in writing and should be sent to Ann
Jones, Head of Heritage and Information Governance, at the address
detailed at the bottom of this email. The request should:


(a) detail your request for a review of our decision to be undertaken;


(b) describe the nature of your original request; and


(c) explain the reasons why you are dissatisfied with our response.


If you remain dissatisfied with how your request for information has been
dealt with, you also have the right to apply to the Scottish Information
Commissioner for a decision as to whether we have handled your request


Information relating to your right to seek review is available from the
Scottish Information Commissioner's web page at:




or by contacting the Scottish Information Commissioner's Office at the
following address:


Scottish Information Commissioner,

Kinburn Castle,

Doubledykes Road,

St Andrews,

Fife KY16 9DS

Telephone: 01334 464610

Fax: 01334 464611

E-mail: [9][email address]  



Contact us


Finally, should you wish to discuss the contents of this email, please do
not hesitate to contact me.


Kind regards



Heriot-Watt University

Governance and Legal Services

Edinburgh Campus


Edinburgh EH14 4AS



show quoted sections