Former British citizen securing permanent residence for the UK

John Kelly made this Freedom of Information request to Home Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Home Office,

I have searched the internet for this information but have not been successful, therefore, I have decided to request that the Home Office releases any internal information, staff training materials or other guidance notes/memos/emails/documents etc which pertains to my query via the FOIA.

The information which I am seeking is: Can a former British citizen (i.e. one who has formally renounced British citizenship via the process and received a certificate of renunciation) still be eligible for the acquisition of permanent residence (PR) under the European Directive on Free Movement (2004/38/EC) after having spent a period of 5 years working in the UK. Would the same right to PR be extended to his/her spouse under said Directive?

I look forward to hearing from you with any information you may hold on this issues within the FOIA guidelines.

Yours faithfully,

John Kelly

FOI Requests, Home Office

Thank you for contacting the FOI Requests mailbox.

Your message has been logged and will be dealt with shortly.

We aim to provide a response to all FOI requests within 20 working days.

If your message is with regard to an existing FOI case or is a general
query please ensure you have left any file references and contact details.


Thank you.


show quoted sections

Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

Further Nationality Enquiries, Home Office

Dear Mr Kelly

Thank you for your enquiry.

If an individual has renounced their British Citizenship status and has since become a national of a country in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland they would be eligible to exercise their EEA free-movement rights in the United Kingdom. If they exercised their rights for a continuous five-year period on or after 30 April 2006 they will automatically have permanent residence status.

Similarly the family member of such a person would also be eligible for permanent residence had they exercised EEA free-movement rights in the UK for a continuous five-year period ending on or after 30 April 2006. Further information can be found on our website:


Paul Baker
UK Visas & Immigration
North West Responder Hub

show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .