Dear Bournemouth Borough Council,
In accordance with The Freedom Of Information Act  I am requesting the following Information.
For clarity, in all requests, if the response to a specific question is ‘one case’ or ‘two cases, please respond with ‘fewer than three cases’. If the response to a specific question is ‘zero cases’, please say so.
• How many individual referrals to Children’s Social Care Services were made in your Local Authority, involving suspected Fabricated and Induced Illness (FII) and/or Muchausens By Proxy Syndrome (MBPS) in 2016?
• In those referrals involving suspected FII or MBPS in 2016, how are they defined to be genuine cases of FII or MBPS?
• Please provide a breakdown of the overall number of these referrals involving suspected FII or MBPS in 2016, by the type of organisation that made the initial referral, as shown in the table. For the NHS and Local Authority categories, please break down by clinic/department (add rows as required).
Type of Organisation
Clinic or Department
Number of referrals on Grounds of FII or MBPS
Schools (please do not identify individual schools).
Other (Please describe type of organisation in this case)
• In how many of these referrals involving suspected FII or MBPS in 2016 were, children removed form families and placed for adoption? How many were returned to families? Please specify a figure for each question.
• In each of these referrals were suspected FII or MBPS was not substantiated. How many of these cases were, closed completely with records amended to reflect no FII or MBPS? How many were subject to on-going monitoring? Please specify a figure for each question please.
I look forward to receiving a response to this request within 20 working days from receipt as per section 10 of The Freedom Of Information Act .
Mrs C Emery
Thank you for your email to Bournemouth Borough Council. Your enquiry has
been received and we will respond as soon as possible.
If you are submitting a request for information under the Freedom of
Information/Environmental Information Regulations act this automated
response is a formal acknowledgement that your request has been received
by the Council. In most cases you will receive a response within 20
working days. If for any reason this is not possible you will be
contacted and advised accordingly.
You may also find the information you require on our website:
Never miss a thing! Sign up now to receive our email alerts direct to
your Inbox, on the subjects that matter most to you.
Special Offer: FREE LED light bulbs & more!
Many Bournemouth residents can get lots of free help to cut energy bills.
You are eligible if someone in your household receives certain benefits,
has a health condition or disability. Check the Council website for
full details. If you are eligible, a Home Energy Advisor will visit and
install free energy saving measures – such as low energy LED lightbulbs,
smart extension leads, reflective radiator panels and draught-proofing to
wooden windows and doors (subject to the suitability of your home).
Phone to book your free home visit on 0800 060 7567 (8.45am till 5.30pm,
Monday to Friday) or apply online anytime at:
https://www.applyforleap.org.uk/ If you know other people who you think
could benefit from this service, please tell them.
Bournemouth Borough Council
T: Town Hall Switchboard (01202) 451451
Follow us on social media
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now