Dear Exeter City Council,
I feel deeply privileged that I am in a position to pay for a roof over my head, the bills and to put food on the table. Even more so since I relocated and moved to Exeter in August 2013. I cannot tell you the sadness that I feel on a regular basis walking through Queen Street and the High Street to see the amount of homeless people sleeping rough in the shop doorways.
I come from a fairly big city - Southampton - originally, and so I am sure you can imagine that I am no stranger to being exposed to poverty of this nature. It does seem excessive in Exeter though.
There is one particular old man who eats from the bins by the Cathedral and it breaks my heart. I've given him food in the past but he seems confused whenever somebody tries to help him out.
Aside from giving the odd £2 coin to these individuals when walking past, I feel utterly useless that I cannot offer any further help and I am very keen to find out what is being done in our city to help reduce the amount of people having to sleep on the streets.
What I would really like to know is;
* In 2014, how many food shelters were operating in Exeter?
* What was the average food allowance in monetary value allocated to each individual at these food shelters?
* How often is one individual allowed to access a food hamper from the food shelters?
* In 2014, how much money was spent on schemes to help homeless people find work and affordable living by Exeter City Council?
* Are there any emergency shelters in Exeter where homeless individuals can seek solace and spend the night during bad weather and how can this service be accessed?
* How many deaths relating to homelessness - (ie. exposure, hunger) have been recorded in Exeter since 2010?
I would be most grateful if you could address the above points and include any further information that may be of interest on this topic.
Thank you for your request for information. I will arrange for a response
to be issued as soon as possible. If you have any queries about the
progress of your request, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Please note that information relating to schools, education, trading
standards, social care (e.g. care homes) and highways is held by Devon
County Council and your request should be re-directed to them. Their
contact details are as follows:
Information Compliance Manager
Telephone: 01392 384679
Email: [email address]
for Corporate Manager, Policy, Communications and Community Engagement
Exeter City Council
Exeter EX1 1JN
Tel: 01392 277888
email: [Exeter City Council request email]
1. mailto:[email address]
2. mailto:[Exeter City Council request email]
Thank you for your request for information. Please see below our response
to the questions you have raised.
Exeter City Council is committed to openness and transparency. If you
wish to request a review of either our decision, or the way your request
has been handled, please write to the Council's Corporate Manager at the
address below. Your request will be considered in line with our Review
Procedure. Full details of this procedure, including your right of appeal
to the Information Commissioner, are available on our website at
for Corporate Manager (Policy, Communications and Community Engagement)
Exeter City Council
Email: [Exeter City Council request email]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now