Dear Ashford Borough Council,
Evictions and Out-of-Area Rehousing of Council Tenants affected by Welfare Reform
I am seeking information about the potential impact of central government welfare reform policies on eviction rates and geographical displacement of households with council housing tenancies. My information request relates to three welfare reform policies:
- Under-Occupancy (also known as Removal of Spare Room Subsidy / Bedroom Tax)
- The Benefit Cap
- Universal Credit roll-out
I understand that under Section 16 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 there is a duty to assist and advise the requester. I would appreciate your advice if you think my request needs any clarification in order to get the information that I am looking for, or if it would exceed the cost limit in its present form.
1. Please provide an annual breakdown since April 2010 of the total number of unique council tenancies - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - that have been evicted due to the non-payment of rent arrears.
2. For each year of this annual breakdown since April 2013, please disclose how many of these evicted households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - had at some point been affected by:
b. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap
c. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap and Universal Credit roll-out
3. How many of the evicted households affected by a, b, or c - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - went on to make a successful homelessness application to the local authority?
4. Of these successful homeless applications, please disclose how many households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - were placed in temporary accommodation in a different local authority area and disclose the destination local authority area in each case.
Thank you for submitting a Freedom of Information request. Your email will
be processed by the Freedom of Information and Data Protection team.
We endeavour to respond to all Freedom of Information requests within 20
working days. If we require anything further from you we will be in
Freedom of Information Team
Ashford Borough Council
Dear Mr Barnett
In relation to your FOI Request Number 5832, I can answer as follows:
Q1. Our statistics began in 2013/14 so I cannot provide figures from as
far back as 2010
2013/14 - 16 Evictions
2014/15 - 14 Evictions
2015/16 - 8 Evictions
2016/17 - 8 Eviction
2017/18 - 5 Evictions at 25.01.18
We do not record how many people were living at the tenancy at point of
2013/14 – nil
2014/15 - nil
2015/16 - nil
2016/17 - 1 household was affected by UC and the another by
2017/18 - nil so far
We started recording the number of tenancies affected by Welfare Reforms
in Feb 2016
With kind regards
Business Support Officer
Ashford Borough Council