Dear Torbay Borough Council,
I am seeking information about the potential impact of central government welfare reform policies on eviction rates and geographical displacement of households with council housing tenancies. My information request relates to three welfare reform policies:
- Under-Occupancy (also known as Removal of Spare Room Subsidy / Bedroom Tax)
- The Benefit Cap
- Universal Credit roll-out
I understand that under Section 16 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 there is a duty to assist and advise the requester. I would appreciate your advice if you think my request needs any clarification in order to get the information that I am looking for, or if it would exceed the cost limit in its present form.
1. Please provide an annual breakdown since April 2010 of the total number of unique council tenancies - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - that have been evicted due to the non-payment of rent arrears.
2. For each year of this annual breakdown since April 2013, please disclose how many of these evicted households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - had at some point been affected by:
b. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap
c. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap and Universal Credit roll-out
3. How many of the evicted households affected by a, b, or c - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - went on to make a successful homelessness application to the local authority?
4. Of these successful homeless applications, please disclose how many households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - were placed in temporary accommodation in a different local authority area and disclose the destination local authority area in each case.
Dear Ms Swain
Thank you for your request for information, which was received on 23
January 2018. We are currently processing your request and will contact
you within 20 working days.
If you have any queries regarding your request, please do not hesitate to
contact us, quoting the reference number above in all communications.
Information Compliance Support Officer
Torquay Town Hall
*: [email address]
The Information Compliance Team will aim to acknowledge correspondence
within 3 working days unless a restriction is in place.
Dear Ms Swain
Further to your request received on 23 January 2018 I confirm that Torbay
Council has now considered your request under the Freedom of Information
Our response is attached.
The information supplied to you continues to be protected by the
Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. You are free to use it for your
own purposes, including any non-commercial research you are doing and for
the purpose of news reporting. Any other re-use, for example commercial
publication, would require the permission of the copyright holder.
Torbay Council publishes Access to Information requests and responses on
its online Disclosure Log. Only requests deemed to be in the public
interest will be included and any request included within this log will be
To view the Council’s Disclosure Log, please visit
If you have any queries about this email please do not hesitate to contact
me directly, quoting the reference number listed at the top of this letter
in all communications.
If you are unhappy with the Council’s response to your request you may
request an Internal Review, your request must be made in writing setting
out the reasons you are unhappy within 40 working days of receiving the
response, you can request an Internal Review by writing to Information
Compliance, Town Hall, Castle Circus, Torquay, TQ1 3DR.
If after going through the Council’s Internal Review process you are still
not satisfied, you can contact the Information Commissioner direct.
Information Helpline: 0303 123 1113
Commissioner 01625 545 745
Wycliffe [email address]
Water Lane Website:
Torquay Town Hall
Communications with Torbay Council may be monitored and/or recorded for
lawful purposes. This email is confidential and may also be privileged. If
you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender and delete the
message from your system immediately. The views in this message are
personal; they are not necessarily those of Torbay Council.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now