Dear Midlothian Council,
I am seeking information about the potential impact of central government welfare reform policies on eviction rates and geographical displacement of households with council housing tenancies. My information request relates to three welfare reform policies:
- Under-Occupancy (also known as Removal of Spare Room Subsidy / Bedroom Tax)
- The Benefit Cap
- Universal Credit roll-out
I understand that under Section 16 of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 there is a duty to assist and advise the requester. I would appreciate your advice if you think my request needs any clarification in order to get the information that I am looking for, or if it would exceed the cost limit in its present form.
1. Please provide an annual breakdown since April 2010 of the total number of unique council tenancies - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - that have been evicted due to the non-payment of rent arrears.
2. For each year of this annual breakdown since April 2013, please disclose how many of these evicted households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - had at some point been affected by:
b. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap
c. Under-occupancy and the Benefit Cap and Universal Credit roll-out
3. How many of the evicted households affected by a, b, or c - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - went on to make a successful homelessness application to the local authority?
4. Of these successful homeless applications, please disclose how many households - including the total number of people recorded as living in them - were placed in temporary accommodation in a different local authority area and disclose the destination local authority area in each case.
Thank you for your enquiry regarding 'Freedom of Information request -
Evictions and Out-of-Area Rehousing of Council Tenants affected by Welfare
This will be passed to the appropriate section of the Council for
PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS AUTOMATED EMAIL - if you wish to make an
additional enquiry, please create a NEW email.
In any further emails to this account, do NOT use the words `auto
response` in the subject-line, as any such email is automatically
Request for Information under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
– FOISA No.10203
Dear Ms Sophie Lee,
I refer to your request for information of Evictions and Out-of-Area
Rehousing of Council Tenants affected
by Welfare Reform in Midlothian and attach the response.
Kevin Anderson l Head of Customer and Housing Services l 8:
(0131 271 3225 I(0131 271 6690 direct l +Fax: 0131 271 3252 l Midlothian
Council l Buccleuch House
1 White Hart Street l Dalkeith l Midlothian l EH22 1AE
Community Safety l Housing Services l Revenues Services l Customer
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now