Electronic Patient Records & Document Scanning
Daniel Stonard made this Freedom of Information request to James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Dear James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,
1.Does the trust manage the digitisation of its patient records on-site or is this an outsourced service?
2. If outsourced who is the current provider, when did the contract start and what is the contract term?
a. Was this contract awarded via any Frameworks e.g. CCS RM1063?
b. What is the cost of digitising patient records within the trust?
c. What is the cost of digitising patient records with outsourced providers?
d. What are the trusts targets for having patient files scanned and hard-copy notes available as digital images?
3. If the patient file scanning is provided in house how many staff are involved in:
a. Preparing and/or scanning medical records/patient files?
b. Distributing (delivering or collecting) physical notes around the estate?
c. Retrieving and collecting physical notes from on-site stores?
4. Does the trust scan other records than patient files?
a. If yes could you please supply daily volumes of record scanning?
b. If yes, please also supply types of records which are scanned?
5. Can you please provide the contact details including email address/format of the trust’s IT Director, CIO and any Digital Transformation executives?
a. Please also supply the details of those responsible for managing patient records (scanning, physical storage and delivery etc).
6. Could you please supply a current organisational chart for medical records, digitisation services and digital transformation programmes?
7. Are medical record libraries (physical patient file storage) managed within the trust by Trust staff on Trust premises or outsourced to a third-party?
a: if outsourced who is the supplier?
b: when was the contract issued and for what period?
c: how many files/boxes are stored off site?
d: if trust libraries are in-house/on-site how many boxes/files are there?
e: how much does the trust spend annually on outsourced storage contracts for patient files
As you will be aware, as a result of COVID-19, the NHS has been at the highest alert level until recently. The Trust was directed to administer the COVID-19 immunisation programme late last year and ensure that patient facing staff are tested twice weekly. As such, our resources were diverted away from the usual compliance and information rights work to the effective long term management of the virus in line with the Government’s request. Whilst we recognise that statutory timescales cannot be extended, I would like to apologise that there is likely to be a significant delay in responding to your request for information during this extraordinary period.
We have received a significant number of requests in recent weeks. As we start to recover some of our services, we will be working through them to enable responses to be provided as soon as we are able to.
Ann Filby MCIPR
Head of Communications & Corporate Affairs
James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Tel: 01493 452162
[James Paget University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust request email]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now