EEA spouse return to UK with a certificate of application and marriage certificate

The request was partially successful.

Dear Home Office,

I am a spouse of an EU citizen, who is a “qualified person” here in the UK. I arrived in the UK under my student Tier4 visa. This early April I applied for a “UK residence card”, I received a "certificate of application" letter confirming I have the right to work. My current student visa will expire on28th June, but I have a trip booked to Spain from 28th of June to 3rd of July. I am not sure if I will receive my residence card before my trip. Can I return back to the UK travelling with my husband who is an EU citizen along with the "certificate of application" and my marriage certificate? Is there any other documents I can get, which will let me travel while waiting for my residence card? I plan departure from and return to London Stansted airport. My husband (EU citizen) will travel with me. Look forward to hearing from you. Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

FOI Requests, Home Office


Please be aware that we have decided to handle your correspondence of 6 June outside the provisions of the Freedom of Information Act. This is because it does not meet the criteria for a Freedom of Information request, as it does not ask for recorded information.

Below is a link to the ICO guidance for the criteria for valid requests under the Act:

We will provide an answer to your query, but it will be answer outside of the provisions of the Act.  You should expect to receive a response in due course.

Thank you,

P. Zebedee
FOI Requests
Home Office

show quoted sections

UK Visas and Immigration,

Dear Xin,
Thank you for your enquiry dated 6th June regarding EEA spouse returning
to the UK with a certificate of application and marriage certificate.
Border Force staff based at ports of entry, decide whether to grant entry
to a person arriving into the United Kingdom through immigration control.
This is done at the time of arrival on a case by case basis. We cannot
advise on a case in advance of that arrival.
Please be informed that when entering or re-entering the UK, a foreign
national will be required to show a valid visa allowing them entry to the
UK, if applicable. You will also need evidence to prove that you are
entering or re-entering for the same purpose as on the visa.
For further assistance in regards to border control please see the below
Please note the onus is upon individual customers to ensure that they
satisfy the requirements set out in the guidance material. The guidance
material accompanies each and every application form. UK Visas and
Immigration is not able to give, indicate or advise upon the outcome of
any such application prior to it being given full and careful

Directing you to the guidance material is the only advice we can give you.
If you need any further help you should seek independent immigration
advice. Immigration advisers can help you with immigration matters,
including completion of forms and representing you at a tribunal. The
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC) regulates
immigration advisers, which mean they must meet certain standards.

Please see the below link to find an immigration adviser:


Yours Faithfully,

Dawn Johnson
UK Visa and Immigration



UKVI Contact Centre

Website: [3]


Please note that we cannot provide case specific advice or pre-assess an
application but we can provide information and support you through
signposting and website navigation. If you require more specific advise
then please speak to a qualified immigration advisor


Visible links
1. Click to follow link:
2. Click to follow link:

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .