Dear Magdalene College, Cambridge,
Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, I kindly request some raw data from you regarding university applications.
1) The number of Home Independent applications and offers to study undergraduate economics in 2014, 2015 and 2016
2) The number of Home Maintained applications and offers to study undergraduate economics in 2014, 2015 and 2016
3) The number of European Union applications and offers to study undergraduate economics in 2014, 2015 and 2016
4) The number of Overseas applications and offers to study undergraduate economics in 2014, 2015 and 2016
I refer to your recent request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
(FOI 2000) regarding economics admission statistics.
We are unable to provide the information broken into individual years as
the very small numbers involved would lead to the disclosure of personal
data of individuals: this information is therefore withheld under section
40(2) Data Protection of the FOI 2000. Instead we have given information
aggregated over the three years (2014-2016 admission) that you have
enquired about. The responses to your questions are as follows:
1. Home independent - 24 applications and 5 offers;
2. Home maintained - 22 applications and 4 offers;
3. EU - 10 applications and 2 offers;
4. Other overseas – 26 applications and 3 offers.
I hope you find this information useful. The College’s complaints
procedure provides for an internal review of the decisions regarding this
response if you are dissatisfied with it. You should let me know if you
wish to use it, letting me know your reasons for dissatisfaction and any
other matters to which the College should have regard. The review will be
conducted by another officer of the College, who will notify you of its
You have a right to apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision
whether, in any specified respect, your request to the College for
information has been dealt with in accordance with the requirements of the
Freedom of Information Act. Details may be found on the Information
Commissioner’s website atwww.ico.gov.uk.
On behalf of Helen Foord, FOI Officer.
Secretary to the Assistant Bursar
Tel: 01223 330575
Registered Charity Number 1137542
Please note: My working days are Thursday and Friday
Think of the environment - please do not print this email unless really
This e-mail (and any files transmitted with it) is strictly confidential
and intended only for the use of the individual or organisation to whom it
is addressed. It may contain information that is privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail
(or telephone) and destroy the original message. Thank you.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now