Dear West Midlands Police,
This is a FOI request for information regarding the use of aerial drones, UAs, UAVs, and UASs (hereinafter “drones”) within your police force.
1. How many drones do you own, operate or have access to?
2. Kindly provide any policies, guidelines, manuals and/or instructions on department use of drones, including on the legal process required (including the retention of information gathered), if any, before operating a drone;
3. Kindly provide any requests for proposals, proposals submitted by vendors, contracts, budgets or cost allocations for the purchase and/or use of drones;
3. Kindly provide any records concerning the police force’s plans to use drones in the future including the purposes drones are being considered for;
4. How many requests have been made by your police force to the Civil Aviation Authority for a licence to use a drone, and how many of these requests
a) have been refused?
b) are still outstanding??
Dear Mr King
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000
Thank you for your request for information, received 03 August 2012.
Your request is being considered and you will receive a response within the statutory timescale of 20 working days, as defined by the Act, subject to the application of any statutory exemptions. Where consideration is being given to the application of any exemptions the 20 working day timescale may be extended under the terms of the Act to a period considered reasonable depending on the nature and circumstances of your request. In such cases you will be notified and, where possible, a revised time-scale will be indicated. In all cases we shall attempt to deal with your request at the earliest opportunity.
There may be a fee payable for the retrieval, collation and provision of the information requested, where the request exceeds the statutory limit. In such cases you will be informed in writing and the 20 working day timescale will be suspended until we receive payment from you or your request is modified and /or reduced. If you chose not to make full payment or modify your request then the request will remain unanswered.
Your request may require either full or partial transfer to another public authority. You will be informed if your request is transferred.
Freedom of Information Unit
Tel: 0345 113 5000
To report crime and anti-social behaviour which does not require an emergency response please call 101. In an emergency call 999. For all other enquiries (or for callers outside the West Midlands), dial 0345 113 5000
View all our social network links
Our vision: Serving our communities, protecting them from harm