Driving while under the influence of marijuana

James Snowdome made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Transport

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Under the Freedom of Information Act can you please let me know the results of any studies into the effects of marijuana consumption before driving.

Thank you in advance

Yours faithfully,

James Snowdome

Tim Norman, Department for Transport

James Snowdome

Our Reference F0004621

Thank you for your e-mail (below) requesting information under the Freedom
of Information Act about the results of studies into the effects of
marijuana on driving. The information you seek has already been published
- see below - and therefore under section 21 of the Act, we are not
legally required to provide information which is already reasonably

The Department has undertaken three research projects in relation to the
effects of cannabis on driving performance. They are:

· Cannabis and driving: a review of the literature and
commentary. This is available on-line at
http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/res... . It is listed
as Research Report 12 and was published in 2000;

· The influence of cannabis on driving. This is available free
from TRL Ltd (who undertook the work for the Department) at
It is listed as report TRL477 and was published in 2000;

· [1]The influence of cannabis and alcohol on driving. This is
available free on-line from TRL Ltd at
. It is listed as report TRL543 and was published in 2002.

You will need to register on the TRL Ltd web-site if you wish to download
those reports. That is not onerous and imposes no obligations on you.

All three publications include references to other published reports that
may be relevant to your request.

Research Report 12 is subject to Crown Copyright. You can find details on
the arrangements for re-using Crown copyright on the Office of Public
Sector Information website at:

The TRL Ltd reports continue to be protected by the Copyright, Designs and
Patents Act 1988. You are free to use them for your own purposes,
including any non-commercial research you are doing and for the purposes
of news reporting. Any other re-use, for example commercial publication,
would require the permission of the copyright holder.

In order to facilitate public accessibility, and in keeping with the
spirit and effect of the Freedom of Information Act, the Department will
also release the information you requested through the Department's

If you are unhappy with the way the Department has handled your request,
you may complain within two calendar months of the date of this by mailing
me at my above address. Please see below for details of the Department's
complaints procedure and your right to complain to the Information
Commissioner.from [department] you may ask for an internal review. You
should contact [name of official and address] if you wish to complain

If you have any queries about this e-mail, please contact me. Please
remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.

Tim Norman

Road User Safety Division

Department for Transport

great Minster House

76 Marsham Street

London SW1P 4DR


Your right to complain to the Department and the Information Commissioner

You have the right to complain within two calendar months of the date of
this e-mail about the way in which your request for information was
handled. In addition a complaint can be made that the Department has not
complied with its FOI publication scheme.

Your complaint will be acknowledged and you will be advised of a target
date by which to expect a response. Initially your complaint will be
re-considered by the official who dealt with your request for information.
If, after careful consideration, that official decides that his/her
decision was correct, your complaint will automatically be referred to a
senior independent official who will conduct a further review. You will be
advised of the outcome of your complaint and if a decision is taken to
disclose information originally withheld this will be done as soon as

If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have
the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a
decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at:

Information Commissioner*s Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

show quoted sections