Dear Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council,

Can you please explain WHY you use PIP or DLA as income??
Which you are not supposed to do, since the Sandwell/Hardy Judgement.

The Disabled are put at a disadvantage by you doing this.
The very people who the Government continuously say, DHP's are meant to help.

Thank you

Yours faithfully,

Debbie Price

InfoMgr, FinDMT, Wirral Metropolitan Borough Council

1 Attachment

Dear Ms Price


Thank you for your recent Freedom of Information request.  In response I
would advise that Wirral Council does not have a ‘blanket policy’ of
including PIP/ DLA as income when deciding whether or not a DHP should be


Wirral Council akin to other Local Authorities, has developed its own DHP
policy, in accordance with the DWP’s DHP Guidance/ Good Practice Guide
(revised in December 2016), which states, in relation to PIP/ DLA that
‘Local Authorities are obliged to consider each DHP application on a case
by case basis having regard to the purpose of those disability related
benefits and whether the money from those benefits has been committed to
other liabilities associated with disability’.  The guidance further
advises that ‘in establishing if the claimant requires further financial
assistance the Local Authority can decide how to treat any expenditure,
offsetting it against income intended to assist with such expenditure as
appropriate’ and this is the approach that Wirral Council takes when
considering DHP applications. 


Yours sincerely




Lynette Paterson

Senior Information Management Officer

Business Services - Digital


Wallasey Town Hall

Brighton Street
CH44 8ED 

[1]Tel: 0151 691 8201

[2][Wirral Borough Council request email]



[3]LGC Awards15_Winner_MIP



This information supplied to you is copyrighted and continues to be
protected by the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988.   You are free
to use it for your own purposes, including any non commercial research you
are doing and for the purposes of news reporting. Any other reuse, for
example commercial publication, would require our specific permission, may
involve licensing and the application of a charge






show quoted sections


Visible links
1. file:///tmp/Tel:0151
2. mailto:[Wirral Borough Council request email]

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .