Disable d parents and Disabled Children

Harley made this Freedom of Information request to Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee,

Do Schools have to a provide access for disabled parents , so that the parent may have full access to the child's education?

is there any guidance for schools ?

Does this apply to all schools and academies ?

What about special needs private schools?

What is access to Education concerned with? structure of the building , parking , etc ?

Do schools have a duty not to discriminate against disabled parents?

If the child is disabled and needs safe access to school because of mobility issues , can this be supported by the school?

how ?

Is there any guidance on this for schools and parents ?

If a disabled child and a disabled parent need to be park near a school in order to gain access, what do DPACT recommend if the school has refused to make a reasonable adjustment , because of the disabilities?

is it reasonable for a headteacher to threaten to pull a disabled child's placement at the school just because the parent is also disabled and the school are not making a reasonable adjustment for the parents Disability ?

is it reasonable for a headteacher to state to a disabled parent that a disabled child's placement is" at risk " at the school ,just because the parent is also disabled and the school are not making a reasonable adjustments for the parents disability?

if the school has no published governors or complaints procedure or system for bypassing the headteacher what should a disabled parent do?

if the headteacher has stated she can do what she likes within the school to a disabled parent , is this acceptable behaviour by the headteacher.

Are disabled parents allowed to refuse meetings for fear of further violations by the Headteacher, even if the headteacher's staff orders the parents into a meeting.?

Yours faithfully,

Mr Breed

DPTAC Enquiries, Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee

Dear Mr Breed,

Thank you for your request under the Freedom of Information Act to the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee. The Act requires public authorities, such as DPTAC, to release information that it holds that is relevant to the request that is not publically available.

DPTAC does not hold information that is relevant to schools travel, that is a matter for the Department for Education and for local authorities. This is not a subject that I am that familiar with but I can see that much of the information relevant to your request is available on line, for example at https://www.gov.uk/free-school-transport

Yours sincerely,

Phil Pool | Secretary to the Disabled Persons Transport Advisory Committee, Inclusive Travel Team, Active Accessible Travel, Department for Transport
2/16 GMH | 07500 443233 |

show quoted sections

ACCOUNT, Unmonitored,

Dear Mr Breed

Thank you for your recent email, addressed to the Disabled Persons
Transport Advisory Committee, about guidance for schools regarding access
for disabled parents. Your email has been passed to this department as we
are responsible for this policy area and I have been asked to reply.

I am sorry to hear of the difficulties you have encountered with your
child’s school.

The following guidance states what schools must do for pupils, however we
do not advise about access for parents –


Advice on standards for school premises-

 Page 9 provides details about making adjustments for pupils with special
educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

As you have not stated the name of the school we are unable to investigate
if the school has a complaints policy. Maintained schools are required
under Section 29 of the Education Act 2002 to have procedures in place to
deal with all complaints about the school and the services they may
provide, regardless of source. Maintained schools are also now required to
publish their complaints policies on their websites.

Since 1 September 2016, under the School Information Regulations
(Amendment) 2016, governing bodies of maintained schools have been
required to publish their complaints procedures online. This is usually on
the school's website, but where the school has no website, schools must
advise parents where the information is held.

For academies, free schools and independent schools, the relevant
legislation is The Education (Independent Schools Standards) Regulations
2010. This legislation states that these schools must have a policy in
place for parents and carers.

Referring to your concerns about the treatment you received from the
headteacher we would expect such matters to be dealt with at a local level
where the facts of the case are known, through the schools own complaints

The Teaching Regulation Agency (TRA) has in place a system for considering
complaints about teachers. However, you should be aware that they cannot
consider such a complaint until all local disciplinary procedures are

When all local procedures have been exhausted, if you still believe their
referral justifies the prohibition of teachers, you can then escalate your
complaint to the TRA.

Please read the guidance which is available online at:


The referral form can be found here:


You should include as much evidence as you can with your referral, or if
you do not have any evidence please include a detailed statement
supporting your referral.

Until the referral form is received, the TRA can take no further action.
When the form is received, it will be considered and you will be informed
of the outcome of your submission.

I hope this information is helpful, thank you for writing.

Your correspondence has been allocated reference number 2018-0032330. If
you need to respond to us, please visit:
[5]https://www.education.gov.uk/contactus and quote your reference number.

As part of our commitment to improving the service we provide to our
customers, we are interested in hearing your views and would welcome your
comments via our website at: [6]http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/DVHBX/

Yours sincerely

E Lamb 

Ministerial and Public Communications Division

Web: [7]https://www.education.gov.uk
Twitter: [8]https://www.twitter.com/educationgovuk
Facebook: [9]https://www.facebook.com/educationgovuk



Visible links
1. https://www.gov.uk/rights-disabled-perso...
2. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...
3. https://www.gov.uk/government/collection...
4. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...
5. https://www.education.gov.uk/contactus
6. http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/DVHBX/
7. https://www.education.gov.uk/
8. https://www.twitter.com/educationgovuk
9. https://www.facebook.com/educationgovuk