Disability employment advisers: their role in practice
Will Hadwen made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Work and Pensions
Dear Department for Work and Pensions,
Can you clarify and/or provide information relating to the following questions:
1. what is the job description for disability employment adviser (DEAs)?
2. who do they report to?
3. how many DEAs are there (eg one per Jobcentre?)
4. when should work coaches refer to DEAs and what guidance exists to help them decide when this may be appropriate?
5. can a claimant request that their work coach refers to a DEA?
6. can a claimant ever see a DEA directly?
7. what other specific support exists for disabled claimants who need adjustments to access DWP services (including claiming benefits and employment advice)?
Thank you for contacting the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been received by the DWP Freedom of Information mailbox and will be
Please note that this mailbox is for Freedom of Information (FOI) or
Internal Review (IR) requests only – If you have submitted a non FOI or IR
related email then we may not be able to action it.
Timescales for responding
Freedom of Information (FOI) Requests
If your email is a valid FOI request, as per Section 8 of the FOI Act
2000, you can normally expect a response within 20 working days.
Internal Review (IR) Requests
You can normally expect a response within 20 working days.
We will respond to all valid FOI and IR requests within our statutory
timescales, if we are unable to do so then we will contact you to explain
why. Please note that we are not able to process your FOI or IR request in
any shorter timescales that you may indicate.
Receiving a response from us
Please note that email FOI and IR responses will be issued from
We recommend that you add this address to your email contacts otherwise
the response may be treated as Spam or Junk by your email account
Should you have any further queries in connection with your FOI or IR
request please contact us.
More information on the DWP can be accessed on gov.uk here –
Dear Will Hadwen,
I am writing in response to your request for information, received 4th
DWP Central FoI Team
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now