Dear Brighton and Hove City Council,
1.Please provide a copy of your policy regarding the trialling of SEN Direct Payments and personal budgets.
2. Please confirm whether all parents/carers issued with a new or amended statement since January 2012 have been informed about their right to apply for a Direct Payment for SEN provision under the Special Educational Needs (Direct Payments) (Pilot Scheme) Order 2012. How has this information been provided? Please provide a copy of any standard leaflet or letter issued together with confirmation of date of issue.
3. Please confirm the number of parents/carers who are receiving SEN Direct Payments and what those Direct Payments relate to.
4. Please confirm whether any of these SEN Direct Payments could be provided outside the Pathfinder project, e.g. payments under Part 6 of a statement for transport.
5. Please provide a copy of your policy for considering requests for direct payments for SEN provision. If you do not have a policy, please confirm whether there are any limits placed on direct payments applications, e.g. they will not be provided if the LA has a block contract or there is a financial limit. Please confirm whether these criteria are communicated to parents and provide a copy of that document .
6. Please confirm your arrangements for reviewing appeals against a refusal of a request for SEN Direct Payments. Please provide a copy of any policy and any leaflet/letter issued to parents explaining this.
7. Please confirm what information is provided to parents/carers about the trialling of personal budgets. Please provide a copy of any leaflet or letter issued.
8. Please confirm how many parents/carers are receiving a personal budget within the auspices of the Pathfinder project?
9. Please confirm how parents/carers in receipt of SEN Direct Payments/ personal budgets obtained the information to make an application. For example, were they:
(a) sent the information with a new or amended statement
(b) recruited as part of a specific pilot
(c) neither (a )or (b), the family approached the LA having heard about SEN Direct Payments/personal budgets from other sources
10. Please provide a copy of your local offer.
Thank you for your request for information and I confirm we shall respond no later than 5th August 2013.
Regarding your request for information under the Freedom of Information
Act 2000: Ref: foi/657/13
Please find set out below the information in response to the above
1. Copy of SE7 booklet re personal budgets enclosed.
2. A letter was sent to all parents of children with SEN in August 2012
offering parents the option of having a personal budget. Copy
attached. The draft DFE guidance states that the Order does not
prescribe what needs to be provided, and in practice the level of
information and advice will need to reflect the authorities plans to
make direct payments under the scheme to avoid any unnecessary raising
of expectations amongst parents and families.
3. 5 families for home to school travel
4. All direct payments are made to families whoa re participating in the
5. We have been prepared to explore a range of areas as potential
personal budgets. No fixed policy.
6. Has not arisen in this LA.
7. See responses to Q1 and Q2
9. See Q2.. We wrote to all qualifying parents ie those with children
with statements. Information was also posted on our parent partnership
10. The outline of the Local Offer is available on the BHCC website. This
is based on a framework coproduced with parents across SE7.
Should you have any queries concerning this request please contact me,
remembering to quote the reference number shown above.
If you are not satisfied how your request has been handled, you can
appeal. Please write to:
Freedom of Information Appeals
Brighton & Hove City Council
ICT Room lst Floor
Hove Town Hall
Hove BN3 4AH
If you are still not satisfied after your complaint has been investigated,
you can escalate your complaint to the Information Commissioners Office.
The contact details are:
The Information Commissioners Office
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Telephone number: 03031231113
e-mail: [email address]
If you have any queries regarding this process, please contact me via the
contact details below.
Re-use of Public Sector Information and Copyright Statement
Where information has been supplied, you are advised that the copyright in
that material is owned by Brighton & Hove City Council and/or its
contractor(s) unless otherwise stated. The supply of documents under the
Freedom of Information Act does not give the recipient an automatic right
to re-use those documents in a way that would infringe copyright, for
example, by making multiple copies, publishing and issuing copies to the
Brief extracts of the material can be reproduced under the “fair dealing”
provisions of the Copyright Design and Patents Act 1998 (S.29 and S.30)
for the purposes of research for non-commercial purposes, private study,
criticism, review and news reporting.
Authorisation to re-use copyright material not owned by Brighton & Hove
City Council and/or its contractor(s) should be sought from the copyright
holders concerned. If you are considering re-using the information
disclosed to you through this request, for any purpose outside of what
could be considered for personal use, then you are required under the
Public Sector Re-use of Information Regulations 2005 to make an
Application for Re-use to the organisation from which you have requested
the information. Applications for Re-Use should be directed to Mr Peter
Bode at the address above.
Security and Standards Team
Brighton & Hove City Council
Notice to recipient:
The information contained in this electronic mail message is intended only
for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed
and may contain information which is privileged and confidential, the
disclosure of which is prohibited by law.
If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please note
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this
communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error please notify the sender immediately.
Thank you in anticipation of your co-operation.
You can visit our website at http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk
Please consider the environment, only print out this email if absolutely
Please Note: Both incoming and outgoing Emails may be monitored and/or
recorded in line with current legislation.
1. mailto:[email address]
2. mailto:[email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now