Diagnostic data on an MRI technique for men with suspected prostate cancer
Haddi Browne made this Freedom of Information request to Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,
Prostate Cancer UK undertook a Freedom of Information Act (FOI) request of all Trusts, Health Boards and Health and Social Care Trusts in 2016 with the aim of achieving a state of the nation overview of the use of mpMRI before biopsy.
With a 100% completion rate, we gained an in-depth understanding of the current status of mpMRI before prostate biopsy across the UK. We have used the data to make the case to National Commissioners for implementation support. It has also guided our funding and development of resources that respond to some of the challenges and barriers to implementation that centres told us they faced.
This second round of questions is our means of understanding what progress has been made and to identify where we can target our resources and National Commissioners’ support to have maximum impact. Your help with this, is really appreciated.
To make responding easier we have created an automated means for you to provide us with the data we are requesting. Please follow this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/VT3L2TS
Alternatively you can manually fill in the answers below and return them to us.
If you have any questions regarding this FOI request please contact Haddi Browne, Impact and Quality Officer on 020 3310 7214 or on email: [email address]
1. Please tell us which Trust, Health Board or Health and Social Care Trust you are responding on behalf of?
2. What percentage of men receive mpMRI before biopsy as part of the initial diagnostic process using T2-weighted, diffusion-weighted (multi-b ADC and high/long b) and dynamic contrast enhanced (DCE) sequences?
3. What are your eligibility criteria/exclusion criteria for men to receive pre-biopsy mpMRI?
4. Are you using mpMRI before biopsy to rule some men out of biopsy as part of the initial diagnostic process?
5. What mpMRI scores and/or other clinical factors are used to rule men out of biopsy?
6. Do you intend to use mpMRI to rule men out of biopsy in the future?
7. How many men annually are referred
(Please provide corresponding numbers)
a) On suspicion of prostate cancer? _________________
b) Eligible for mpMRI? __________________
c) Scanned? _________________
d) Biopsied? _________________
8. If you are unable to provide numbers for question 6, please estimate the percentage of all men referred for b, c and d.
b) Eligible for mpMRI? _______________
c) Scanned? _______________________
d) Biopsied? _______________________
9. Do you carry out targeted biopsies in men with mpMRI lesions in addition to systematic biopsies?
(Please indicate with a X below)
______ Yes – cognitive/visual estimation
______ Yes – image-fusion
______ No – systematic only
If No, what are the reasons for not carrying this out? (eg. expertise, equipment, don’t believe it makes a difference)
10. If you do not currently carry out targeted biopsies, but wish to in the future, what are the current barriers to doing so?
(Please indicate with a X below)
11. Please indicate the number of uroradiologists undertaking prostate MRI
12. How many scanners do you have available for mpMRI before biopsy? w
Has this increased in the last 12 months?
13. What percentage of scanner time is dedicated to mpMRI before biopsy?
Thank you for taking the time to complete this FOI request.
Dear Ms Browne,
Freedom of Information Act Request Acknowledgment
Thank you for contacting the Freedom of Information Office at Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. We confirm that we have received your correspondence.
Your request below is being considered and you will receive a response within the statutory timescale of 20 working days following the date on which the request was received, as defined by the Act, subject to the information not being covered by an exemption or containing reference to a third party.
For your information, the Act defines a number of exemptions which may prevent release of some or all of the information you have requested. There will be an assessment and if any of the exemption categories apply then the information will not be released. You will be informed if this is the case, including your rights of appeal.
If the information you request contains reference to a third party then they may be consulted prior to a decision being taken on whether or not to release some or all of the information to you. You will be informed if this is the case.
There may be a fee payable for this information. This will be considered and you will be informed if as fee is payable. In this event the fee must be paid before the information is processed and released. The 20 working day time limit for responses is suspended until receipt of payment. You will be informed if this is the case.
If you have made a request for information held by the Trust - we will contact you as soon as possible if we need any further information to enable us to answer your request. If we don't need any further information we will respond to you within the statutory timescale of 20 working days following the date on which the request was received.
If you have any further queries or concerns then please do not hesitate to contact us.
With best regards,
Alan Larn | communications officer (Freedom of Information) | communications department
Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust | Nethermayne | Essex | SS16 5NL
01268 524900 ext 2992
[Basildon and Thurrock University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust request email]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now