Cyber security incidents
Zoe made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Work and Pensions
Dear Department for Work and Pensions,
I’m writing to request information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000:
1. How many cyber security incidents* did the Department for Work and Pensions record between:
• 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2018?
• 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2019?
• 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2020?
• 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2021?
• 1st January 2022 and 31st December 2022?
2. Where possible, please indicate the types of incidents (e.g., denial of service, malware, ransomware, phishing attack, etc.).
*The National Cybersecurity Centre (NCSC) defines a cyber security incident as either:
• A breach of a system's security policy in order to affect its integrity or availability
• The unauthorized access or attempted access to a system
Thank you for contacting the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).
This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been received by the DWP Freedom of Information mailbox and will be
Please note that this mailbox is for Freedom of Information (FOI) or
Internal Review (IR) requests only – If you have submitted a non FOI or IR
related email then we may not be able to action it.
Timescales for responding
Freedom of Information (FOI) Requests
If your email is a valid FOI request, as per Section 8 of the FOI Act
2000, you can normally expect a response within 20 working days.
Internal Review (IR) Requests
You can normally expect a response within 20 working days.
We will respond to all valid FOI and IR requests within our statutory
timescales, if we are unable to do so then we will contact you to explain
why. Please note that we are not able to process your FOI or IR request in
any shorter timescales that you may indicate.
Receiving a response from us
Please note that email FOI and IR responses will be issued from
We recommend that you add this address to your email contacts otherwise
the response may be treated as Spam or Junk by your email account
Should you have any further queries in connection with your FOI or IR
request please contact us.
More information on the DWP can be accessed on gov.uk here –
I am writing in response to your request for information, received 27th
DWP Central FoI Team
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now