Dear Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council,
1. Rotherham Council Legal Services orchestrate the sexual exploitation of children by exploiting the legal loophole of Gillick competence to consent to sexual relations. If a young women, well under the age of consent, has been prescribed contraception then she is regarded as capable of giving proper consent to sexual relations.
2.Because the child's consent is presumed the child must must report the non-consensual contact as assault or rape as if an adult. Until that complaint has been recorded as a crime under the Home Office Counting Rules no action is possible.
3. The child, of course, neither understands or is capable of making such a complaint and nobody else may do. Thus, the police do not record the complaint as a crime, no action is taken, everybody is let off the hook leaving no-one to blame for the sexual exploitation of 1400 children, as we have seen.
4. The abuse persists, lawyers, police offices, social workers and health visitors are all paid off by the gangs involved.
5. The explanation of inaction as a result of consent pervades the report on child sexual abuse in Rotherham. The Children Commissioner has come to similar conclusions in her inquiries into child sexual exploitation as has the Crown Prosecution Service.
6. Section 403 of the Education Act 1996 makes provision for children's sex education. Section 403(1C) refers to materials which may be produced by NHS bodies for use for the purposes of sex education in schools.
7. Please can you supply the materials produced by NHS bodies, or in fact any others, used by Rotherham Council in educating children on giving proper proper consent in intimate and sexual relationships and thus capable of reporting non consensual sexual contact.
Dear Alastair Patterson
Freedom of Information Act 2000 – Request for Information - 575
Thank you for your request for information received on the 28^th August
2014. Please find our response below:
Section 403 of the Education Act 1996 makes provision for children's sex
education. Section 403(1C) refers to materials which may be produced by
NHS bodies for use for the purposes of sex education in schools.
Please can you supply the materials produced by NHS bodies, or in fact any
others, used by Rotherham Council in educating children on giving proper
proper consent in intimate and sexual relationships and thus capable of
reporting non consensual sexual contact.
We have approached the professionals who lead these areas of work and have
included the following information to answer the above questions. We have
attached local documents or links to websites to show the range of
resources available to schools and services working with young people.
Healthy Schools comments
No NHS materials produced by NHS bodies are currently provided to schools
to educate children on giving consent.
Other documented sources that have been highlighted to schools in
Rotherham related to consent but in an age appropriate way to enable
children and young people to report non-consensual contact of any kind
not just sexual. It would obviously not be appropriate to link 'consent'
to intimate and sexual relationships with younger pupils.
•Childline National input on Abuse targeting all Y6 children in England
•NSPCC' Expect Respect' resource •CEOP 'Think U Know', resources • The
Underwear Rule | NSPCC – let’s talk PANTS - for Parents/carers
•‘This is Abuse’ – national materials:
• Spiralling Film on Vimeo website and Spiralling toolkit:
Love or Lies resource is also available for secondary schools to purchase
Attached are some resources developed, shared and used by our Integrated
Youth Support Service
If you are not satisfied with this response you have the right to an
internal review by the Council. Please contact us via the above email
address or by post to Gary Walsh, Information Governance Manager, Legal
Services, Riverside House, Main Street, Rotherham, S60 1AE.
If you are not satisfied with the internal review, you can appeal to the
Information Commissioner. Contact details are: Information Commissioner’s
Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire. SK9 5AF. Telephone
01625 545700. Alternatively go to http://www.ico.gov.uk/
Access to Information Assistant
Information Governance Unit
Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council
Internal from old: 7454416
Internal from new: 54416
P Before printing, think about the environment.
5. mailto:[email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now