Dear Heythrop College,
I would like to make a request for the following information under
the Freedom of Information Act (2000).
1. Do you employ the use of content filtering software on the PCs
based in your libraries which are connected to the internet and
intended for use by the users of your library?
If answer to 1. is “yes”, please:
2. Provide the name and annual cost of the content filtering
3. Provide a full list of the categories of websites blocked (e.g.
“pornography, gambling, phishing etc.”). If these differ according
to the user profile accessing the PC (e.g. child, student, adult,
staff etc.) please provide a full list of categories of websites
blocked for each user profile.
4. Confirm whether you also block specific URLs in addition to
categories, and provide a complete list of these URLs.
5. Provide the relevant policy document or written documentation
which outlines the procedure a user must follow in instances where
they would like to gain access to a website that is blocked.
6. From January 2013 until the present day, please provide a list
of the URLs where users have requested access to despite them being
blocked by the content filtering software.
7. Of the list provided in 6., please detail which URLs access was
granted for and which were denied.
I hope the above requests are clear however please do not hesitate
to get back in touch if any need clarifying.
Could you please send an update on the progress of my request please?
Dear Mr Payne
My apologies for the delay in responding
The answer to your first question is 'no' and so the answer to the remaining questions is 'does not apply'.
If you are unhappy with the way your request for information has been handled you can request a review by writing to me at the address below.
If you remain dissatisfied with the handling of your request or complaint, you have the right to appeal to the Information Commissioner at
The Information Commissioner’s Office
Telephone 0303 123 1113
There is no charge for making an appeal.
Thank you again for your enquiry