Contact information

Jess hand made this Freedom of Information request to Department for Education

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was partially successful.

Dear Department for Education,

Please provide me a list of all independent schools and academies in the UK along with the heads/bursars name & email address

ACCOUNT, Unmonitored, Department for Education

Dear Ms Hand

Thank you for your recent enquiry. A reply will be sent to you as soon as possible. For information; the departmental standard for correspondence received is that responses should be sent within 20 working days as you are requesting information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Your correspondence has been allocated reference number 2017-0009014.

Thank you

Department for Education
Ministerial and Public Communications Division
Tel: 0370 000 2288

ACCOUNT, Unmonitored, Department for Education

2 Attachments

Dear Jess Hand 

I refer to your request for information, which was received on 16 February
2017. You requested “ a list of all independent schools and academies in
the UK along with the heads/bursars name & email address”.  I have dealt
with your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

A copy of the information is enclosed for Independent Schools and
Academies in England.  We do not hold information about schools in Wales
or Scotland where separate arrangements are in place.  Contact details for
the Welsh Government can be found at-


 and for the Scottish Government at-


 Independent Schools

The Department for Education does not collect information about bursars in
independent schools.  Head teacher details and school email addresses are
however included in the data released.


The Education Funding Agency (EFA) collects information for the head of
organisation for academies, UTCs, studio schools and free schools
including the name and email address and we have answered this request by
providing these details. The EFA does not collect bursars contact details.

I have enclosed the data you requested with a small number of email
addresses removed. These are where the only details that we hold are
individuals’ personal email addresses. These are the personal data of the
individuals concerned, and so we have applied section 40(2). Personal data
is that which relates to a living individual who can be identified from
that data, or from that data and other information which is likely to be
in, or to come into, the possession of the requestor. Disclosure of this
information would contravene a number of the data protection principles in
the Data Protection Act 1998, and would be regarded as ‘unfair’. By that,
we mean the likely expectations of the data subject that his or her
information would not be disclosed to others and the effect which
disclosure would have on the data subject. Section 40(2) is an absolute
exemption and is not subject to the public interest test.

The information supplied to you continues to be protected by copyright.
You are free to use it for your own purposes, including for private study
and non-commercial research, and for any other purpose authorised by an
exception in current copyright law. Documents (except photographs) can be
also used in the UK without requiring permission for the purposes of news
reporting. Any other re-use, for example commercial publication, would
require the permission of the copyright holder.


Most documents produced by a government department or agency will be
protected by Crown Copyright. Most Crown copyright information can be
re-used under the Open Government Licence
([3] For
information about the OGL and about re-using Crown Copyright information
please see The National Archives website

Copyright in other documents may rest with a third party. For information
about obtaining permission from a third party see the Intellectual
Property Office’s website at [5]

 If you have any queries about this letter, please contact me. Please
remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications.

If you are unhappy with the way your request has been handled, you should
make a complaint to the Department by writing to me within two calendar
months of the date of this letter.  Your complaint will be considered by
an independent review panel, who were not involved in the original
consideration of your request. 

 If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint to the
Department, you may then contact the Information Commissioner’s Office. 


 Janet Bayles 

Web: [6]
Twitter: [7]
Facebook: [8]



Visible links
3. blocked::
4. blocked::
5. blocked::