Dear Southwark Borough Council,
At the cabinet meeting of 30th October 2018, Cllr. Cryan made an announcement that the BRE (Building Research Establishment) will be testing the proposed strengthening and refurbishment to the Bromyard house Large Panel system block on the Ledbury Estate. (This comes after residents called for stringent testing of the refurbishment by an independent body, though the BRE wasn’t specified by the residents.)
Our questions are as follows:
1) Did Southwark request that the BRE undertake tests and checks on the pilot strengthening work? Or alternatively did the BRE ask to undertake these checks?
2) Will Southwark Council be covering the costs of the BRE undertaking the tests on the Ledbury block? If so, what is the anticipated total sum, and from where will these funds be sourced?
2a) Have Southwark received any funds, or do Southwark expect to receive any funds from the BRE or other body in relation to this testing work? Ie - for example as part of BRE research.
3) What will the BRE be testing in addition to the strengthening? Ie - fire stopping? - please give details of any proposed tests planned.
4) When was the decision formally made to involve the BRE in the testing of the refurbishment of the Ledbury blocks, who made this decision?
5) Please disclose copies of all and any documents, electronic or otherwise, relating to the arrangements made between Southwark Council and the BRE to test the Ledbury refurbishment.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now