Dear Department for Transport,

I refer to the statutory instrument known as Road User Charging (charges and penalty charges) Regulations 2001.

Please can you clarify under section 8, paragraph b, what is meant by a "false document".

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Luke Peters

Ivan Pocock, Department for Transport

Dear Mr Peters,

I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your request for information which has been allocated reference number P0007673. A response will be issued to you in due course.


Ivan Pocock
Department for Transport
Information Rights Unit
D/04, Ashdown House
Sedlescombe Road North
St Leonards on Sea
East Sussex
TN37 7GA

show quoted sections

Peter Steele, Department for Transport

Dear Mr Peters

Thank you for your email asking the meaning of "false document". However I am afraid that the Government does not provide legal advice, so I cannot advise about the meaning of legislation.

However the term "false document" appears both in the Road User Charging (Charges and Penalty Charges) (London) Regulations 2001, and in the Act under which those regulations are made - the Greater London Authority Act 1999. The term is not explained in either document. However, as set out in the explanatory notes for the Act, "where a section or part of a section does not seem to require any explanation or comment, none is given".

The explanatory notes for the Act can be found here:

Yours sincerely,
Peter Steele

show quoted sections

Dear Peter Steele,

Thank you for your quick response to my question. The irony here is that the part of a section does require explanation since I cannot understand it. The term must mean something to you since presumably your department drafted the legislation? Further help is appreciated.

Yours sincerely,

Luke Peters

Peter Steele, Department for Transport

I work part time, and am normally out of the office on Mondays and Thursdays. If you have an urgent issue in the meantime, please contact Nick Denton, Ann Fielding or Sophie Williamson.


show quoted sections

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .