Changing a foreign licence

John Swanepoel made this Freedom of Information request to Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.

The request was successful.

Dear Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency,

I am a British Citizen with a full Zimbabwean drivers licence. i have been residing in the UK for 18 months. Is it possible to exchange my licence for a British one as i would like to purchase a car.
If so, what documents would i need to produce, and where would i do this?

Yours faithfully,
John Swanepoel

DVLA Contact Centre, Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

Dear John Swanepoel,

Thank you for your enquiry received on 16/8/2019.
Your case reference number is 01707342.

I appreciate you contacting DVLA to seek clarification on the matter.

The rules for driving in GB as a resident with a valid Zimbabwean  driving
licence will depend on the types of vehicles you drive. Please see the
advice below.
Car and Motorcycle Licence Holders
If you passed your driving test in Zimbabwean, you can drive all the
vehicles shown on your driving licence for up to 12 months from when you
became resident in GB (as long as the driving licence remains valid). 

If you want to drive for over 12 months you will need to exchange your
driving licence for a GB driving licence.

Please note: If you passed your driving test outside of Zimbabwe you may
not be able to exchange. See the advice [1]here for further information.
Lorry and Bus Licence Holders
You can’t drive lorries or buses in GB on your driving licence. You will
need to exchange your licence and pass a GB driving test in the vehicle
Want to exchange your driving licence?
You can apply to exchange a valid driving licence within 5 years of
becoming resident in GB.  We can only exchange car and motorcycle
entitlement, not lorries or buses.  

You’ll need to complete a D1 application form for cars or
motorbikes. These can be ordered [2]here. Alternatively, you can get one
from selected [3]Post Offices® that offer driving licence transactions.   


• To include the relevant ID
• To include your current driving licence (if you have lost it, you'll
need to provide a proof of entitlement letter from the issuing
• To include 1 Passport standard photograph
• The fee is £43.00
• Your driving licence will not be returned to you.  We must send it to
the issuing authority as part of our exchange agreement.

What ID do I need to send?
You will need to send proof of your identity with the application. To
check what ID you can send and how this will be returned, please see the
full list of acceptable documents [4]here.

Where should I send the application?
SA99 1BT

How long will it take?
Please allow up to 3 weeks for your driving licence to be sent to you.
This can take longer if we need to check your health or personal details.

Your identity documents will be returned separately, normally arriving
within 3 weeks of receiving your licence.
I hope this helps. 

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to contact us again about this
response then please use our [5]reply form link or copy and paste the
following URL in to your browser:

Best Regards
L Harris

[6]DVLA Email Logo

We always welcome feedback, [7]click here to complete a feedback survey

New vehicle tax rates for cars registered on or after 1 April 2017.
Find out more at: [8]
Twitter: [9]@dvlagovuk | Facebook: [10]dvlagovuk | YouTube: [11]dvlagov


Visible links
8. file:///tmp/
9. file:///tmp/
10. file:///tmp/
11. file:///tmp/