Dear West Sussex County Council,
TRADING STANDARDS FOI
Illegal car clocking/ vehicle mileage adjustment is in the news at the moment as such could you answer the following questions.
1) How many cases of car clocking has your council investigated in the last 5 years?
2) Of those cases, how many were dealt with by prosecuting the suspected offenders?
3) How many of those prosecutions were successful?
4) In total, how many vehicles were involved in the successfully prosecuted cases?
5) What is your council’s policy for alerting innocent members of the public and motor trade
to vehicles the council has successfully proven have been "clocked"?
6) Can you provide confirmation in respect of question 5 of the type of action you have taken to warn people about the vehicles you have discovered to have been clocked?
For example, publishing vehicle details, alerting Auto Trader or other specialist publications; registering data with HPI and other mileage data services.
7) Has the council or trading standards department seized any "clocked" vehicles over the past five years and subsequently destroyed them?
Dear Mr Robson,
Thank you for your enquiry, which has been forwarded to the appropriate
officers for a response. The usual timescale for a response is twenty
working days, that is by or on 11.10.17
If for any reason the Council needs to extend this timescale you will be
notified in accordance with the relevant legislation.
Please note that in 2012 the County Council adopted a position in
principle that FoI and EIR requests to West Sussex County Council and the
Council's responses may be published on the Council's website in a
suitably anonymised form. This is in addition to the individual response
to the requestor, and in line with the Council's commitment to
transparency and open data.
Freedom Of Information | West Sussex County Council | Location:
County Hall, Chichester PO19 1RQ
E-mail: [email address]
Kevin Stephenson Principal Officer Trading Standards Parkside, Chart Way,
Horsham, RH12 1XH, Telephone 27652 (internal) 03302 227652 (external)
07779 344290 (Mobile)
Follow us on Twitter cid:image006.png@01D09497.C3F39F00
This email and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for
the persons addressed. If it has come to you in error please reply to
advise us but you should not read it, copy it, show it to anyone else nor
make any other use of its content. West Sussex County Council takes steps
to ensure emails and attachments are virus-free but you should carry out
your own checks before opening any attachment.