Dear Southwark Borough Council,
TRADING STANDARDS FOI
Illegal car clocking/ vehicle mileage adjustment is in the news at the moment as such could you answer the following questions.
1) How many cases of car clocking has your council investigated in the last 5 years?
2) Of those cases, how many were dealt with by prosecuting the suspected offenders?
3) How many of those prosecutions were successful?
4) In total, how many vehicles were involved in the successfully prosecuted cases?
5) What is your council’s policy for alerting innocent members of the public and motor trade
to vehicles the council has successfully proven have been "clocked"?
6) Can you provide confirmation in respect of question 5 of the type of action you have taken to warn people about the vehicles you have discovered to have been clocked?
For example, publishing vehicle details, alerting Auto Trader or other specialist publications; registering data with HPI and other mileage data services.
7) Has the council or trading standards department seized any "clocked" vehicles over the past five years and subsequently destroyed them?
Southwark Council - Information request
Our reference: 833769