Can MPs only support individual cases in their own constituency and refuse to address the issue as a general UK one?

The request was partially successful.

Dear House of Commons,

If an MP's constituent, who wants them to take up an issue that affects those they know with Aspergers in their own MP area and wider in the UK, writes to them for support about a general issue that affects many people with Aspergers, not only in their constituency but also across the UK, can an MP just say "I can only deal with people IN MY CONSTITUENCY, and ON AN INDIVIDUAL CASE BASIS".

The issue is:
Those with Asperger syndrome (a form of autism. Autism won't heal, be cured, miraculously go away, etc. And no sudden support and understanding of autism will suddenly happen either,) who fail the WCA (Work Capability Assessment) and are denied ESA, who go to appeal, are then awarded ESA, but after a three month review are "failed" again, and have to go to appeal again.

The constituent asked their MP for support with this issue, which would include BOTH those in their constituency and those ACROSS THE UK who are in this DIRE and UNJUST and DISABILITY DISCRIMINATORY situation, and was told the above.

Can MPs only help when an individual is thus forced to disclose personal information about their own case? Those with Aspergers often throughout their lives (or their parents / carers) have to disclose imtimate details about themselves, fill in countless forms, in any case, do they have to do this for their MP, when it is a GENERAL ISSUE?

Can MPs not address this issue in principal / general, UK wide?

Is this usual procedure, or an avoidance trick, device or strategy by an MP - knowing that individual Asperger constituents are often very vulnerable - that doesn't want to go against his own party, however dispicable, inhuman and unjust their policies towards those who are sick, vulnerable or disabled are?

Many thanks,

Yours faithfully,

[P. Smith]

Dear House of Commons,

The other barrier to someone with Aspergers / autism getting help is that autism is a social and communication disability in itself.

Yours faithfully,

[P. Smith]

FOICOMMONS, House of Commons

Dear [P. Smith],

The role of MPs is described in the linked documents:

Factsheet :

You and your MP leaflet:

Code of Conduct :

While we have endeavoured to be as helpful as possible, the Freedom of Information Act provides the requester with an access right to recorded information. It does not extend, for example, to requests for views or comments about a particular matter. Your request can be in the form of a question, but a public authority does not have to answer your question if this would mean creating new information, providing analysis or giving an opinion or judgment that is not already recorded.

You may, if dissatisfied with the treatment of your request, ask the House of Commons to conduct an internal review of this decision. Requests for internal review should be addressed to: Freedom of Information Officer, Department of HR and Change, House of Commons London SW1A OAA or [House of Commons request email] . Please ensure that you specify the nature of your complaint and any arguments or points that you wish to make.

If you remain dissatisfied, you may appeal to the Information Commissioner at Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.

Yours sincerely

Bob Castle
Head of Information Rights and Information Security

show quoted sections

Geoffrey Thursfield left an annotation ()

I asked a similar sort of question a few years ago and circulated M.P.'s - my own M.P. contacted me to say that an M.P. would only deal with things in their own constituency

Looking for an EU Authority?

You can request documents directly from EU Institutions at our sister site . Find out more .