Dear Department for Work and Pensions,
1) Is it possible for a JSA claimant to be sanctioned for applying for the wrong sort of jobs?
2) If so, could you please tell me how many JSA claimants in the UK have been sanctioned for this reason each year for the last 10 years?
3) Could you please provide me with a list of jobs that could result in a sanction if a claimant applied for them?
4) Could you please provide me with a list of jobs that a claimant is allowed to apply for without any possibility of being sanctioned for doing so?
5) As you are aware, jobseeker's agreements typically insist that a claimant must apply for at least the minimum number of jobs stipulated in their agreement during each signing period. Is it possible, therefore, that claimants could be placed in a no-win situation whereby they could be sanctioned if they do not apply for jobs (on the basis that they are failing to apply for enough jobs) and could also be sanctioned if they do (on the basis that the jobs they have applied for are the wrong sort of jobs)?
6) Would the DWP prefer that a claimant prioritise ensuring that they apply for enough jobs to meet the number demanded by their jobseeker's agreement (and possibly risk being accused of applying for the wrong sort of jobs) or would the DWP prefer that a claimant prioritise avoiding applying for the wrong sort of jobs (and risk being accused of not meeting the minimum number of applications stipulated in their jobseeker's agreement). Please clarify.
This is an automated confirmation that your request for information has
been accepted by the DWP FoI mailbox.
By the next working day your request will be forwarded to the relevant
information owner within the Department who will respond to you direct.
If your email is a Freedom of Information request you can normally
expect a response within 20 working days.
Should you have any further queries in connection with this request do
please contact us.
For further information on the Freedom of Information Act within DWP
please click on the link below.
Dear Chris Kelly
Please find attached our response to your recent Freedom of Information
DWP Central Freedom of Information Team
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now