Bowel management with spinal cord injured people

Jennifer Sims made this Freedom of Information request to South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

The request was successful.

Dear South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust,

By way of introduction, I work for the Spinal Injuries Association. Part of my role is to assist the Head of Public Affairs with FOI requests, such as the one that follows.

As a request under the Freedom of Information Act, please provide the following information on bowel management for spinal cord injured people and others with neurogenic bowel dysfunction
1. Does the Trust have a formal written policy for digital rectal examination/check, digital rectal stimulation and the digital removal of faeces (manual bowel evacuation) in spinal cord injured and other patients with neurogenic bowel dysfunction ?
2. If the Trust does, please supply a copy of this document.
3. If the Trust does not, how is bowel care managed in the above patient groups who present with this care need?
4. Does the Trust employ a specialist continence nurse(s)?
5. If the Trust employs a specialist continence nurse(s) can they (a) undertake digital rectal checks, digital rectal stimulation and digital removal of faeces (manual bowel evacuation), otherwise known as 'intimate digital bowel care procedures' (b) provide instruction to other nurses to enable them to perform intimate digital bowel care procedures'?
6. If the Trust does not employ a specialist continence nurse, is there another health care professional who undertakes intimate digital bowel care procedures including manual bowel evacuation? If yes, who does this?
7. Does your Trust have a policy in place that will allow your staff to do trans-anal irrigation (TAI) of the bowel as a method of bowel care management for spinal cord injured patients? Do you train your staff to do TAI/ bowel irrigation?
8. Do you run bowel care courses for your staff that allows them to deliver the full range of bowel care required by spinal cord injured patients or others with a neurogenic bowel?
9. If yes, please provide details. If no, does the Trust have a policy which allows for the personal care assistants (PAs) of spinal cord injured patients to assist with this element of the patient's care?
Yours faithfully,

Jennifer Sims

Freedom of Information (RTR) South Tees NHS Trust,

Dear Ms Sims

Thank you for your request for information under the Freedom of
Information Act 2000 which was dated the 19 January 2017 and received by
the Trust on the 19 January 2017.


Your request will be processed within a maximum of twenty working days
from when we received your request unless otherwise informed.


In the event that some or all of the information you have requested is
exempt from disclosure, we will notify you of this. We will also contact
you if during the process to locate and supply the information it emerges
that we do not have sufficient detail to locate the information or we are
unclear exactly what it is you have requested.


If you need to contact me further regarding this request it would be
helpful if the reference number above could be quoted in any future


Yours sincerely


Claire Roberts

Freedom of Information



Freedom of Information (RTR) South Tees NHS Trust,

4 Attachments

Dear Ms Sims


Request for Information – Ref 4200

With reference to your request for information made under the Freedom of
Information Act 2000 please find attached a response on behalf of South
Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust. 


If for any reason you are not satisfied with the information that we have
provided or you feel we have dealt with your request unfairly, you have a
right to complain.  Please send your complaint by email to
[1][email address] or by post to: The Information Governance
Manager, South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, The James Cook
University Hospital, Marton Road, Middlesbrough, TS4 3BW 


If you are still not satisfied, further information about your right to
complain under Section 50  of the Freedom of Information Act is available
from the Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane,
Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AFand on The Information Commissioner’s website


The information that has been provided is licensed for re-use under the
Open Government License 3.0. To view this licence please visit:


or write to the Information Policy Team, The National Archives, Kew,
Richmond, Surrey, TW9 4DU.

If you wish to re-use the information supplied you must:

·         acknowledge the source and our copyright in cases where you
supply the information to others in an identifiable format;

·         reproduce the information accurately;

·         not use the information in a misleading way;

·         either make this information freely available, or if you charge
a third party for providing this information (for example by subscription
to a web site), you must make it clear that the information is freely
available upon request from South Tees Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust.

·         you must state the date that the information was obtained from
the trust in a clear and visible manner

·         not use the information for the principal purpose of advertising
or promoting a particular produce or service.



Any enquiries regarding this document should be sent to the address or
email address above.


Yours sincerely




Claire Roberts

Freedom of Information






Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]
2. file:///Documents%20and%20Settings/dpovey/Local%20Settings/Temp/