Dear 2Gether NHS Foundation Trust,
Bowel management for spinal cord injured people
Hello my name is Derry Felton and I work for the Spinal Injuries Association (SIA). I just have a few questions that need answering for our Public Affairs department.
As a request under the Freedom of Information Act, please provide the following information on bowel management for spinal cord injured people and others with neurogenic bowel dysfunction
1. Does the Trust have a formal written policy for digital rectal examination/check, digital rectal stimulation and the digital removal of faeces (manual bowel evacuation) in spinal cord injured and other patients with neurogenic bowel dysfunction ?
2. If the Trust does, please supply a copy of this document.
3. If the Trust does not, how is bowel care managed in the above patient groups who present with this care need?
4. Does the Trust employ a specialist continence nurse(s)?
5. If the Trust employs a specialist continence nurse(s) can they (a) undertake digital rectal checks, digital rectal stimulation and digital removal of faeces (manual bowel evacuation), otherwise known as 'intimate digital bowel care procedures' (b) provide instruction to other nurses to enable them to perform intimate digital bowel care procedures'?
6. If the Trust does not employ a specialist continence nurse, is there another health care professional who undertakes intimate digital bowel care procedures including manual bowel evacuation? If yes, who does this?
7. Does your Trust have a policy in place that will allow your staff to do trans-anal irrigation (TAI) of the bowel as a method of bowel care management for spinal cord injured patients? Do you train your staff to do TAI/ bowel irrigation?
8. Do you run bowel care courses for your staff that allows them to deliver the full range of bowel care required by spinal cord injured patients or others with a neurogenic bowel?
9. If yes, please provide details. If no, does the Trust have a policy which allows for the personal care assistants (PAs) of spinal cord injured patients to assist with this element of the patient's care?
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request. Please note that this
is an automated response. This email address is only monitored during
normal working hours of Monday to Friday 9.00 am to 5.00 pm.
The Trust will reply to all requests within 20 working days, however, if
for any reason we are unable to do so we will notify you immediately. If a
fee is payable for the information you have requested, we will tell you
what that fee is. We cannot provide any information until any applicable
fee is received.
Need Help Now?
If your enquiry is urgent and relates to the care and treatment of you, a
family member, relative or friend, then please take action as follows:
· Please contact your health care professional or team without delay, if
you are receiving care or treatment from the Trust.
· Speak with your GP or Out of Hours GP (111), if you are not receiving
treatment from the Trust.
· ^2gether Let’s Talk professionals are also available by calling 0800
073 2200 in Gloucestershire and Herefordshire, between 9.00 am and 5:00 pm
Monday to Friday. In addition, you may wish to have a look at our Let’s
Talk pages on the Internet: http://www.talk2gether.nhs.uk/
· If you are experiencing feelings of distress or despair, you can
contact The Samaritans, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by calling 116 123
(UK). You can also visit http://www.samaritans.org
· If you need an emergency service such as an ambulance, please dial 999.
If you have any queries or concerns in the meantime, please do not
hesitate to contact me. We would like to take this opportunity to thank
you for your interest in ^2gether NHS Foundation Trust.
Dear Mr/Ms Felton
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request. Please find the Trust’s response attached.
Sharon Bryant-Small | Information Governance Officer
2gether NHS Foundation Trust
Trust HQ | Rikenel | Montpellier | Gloucester | GL1 1LY
Tel: 01452 894264 | Email: [email address]
Information Governance Enquiries Email: [email address]
Freedom of Information Enquiries E-mail: [2Gether NHS Foundation Trust request email]