We don't know whether the most recent response to this request contains information or not – if you are J J Tovar please sign in and let everyone know.

Birth Certificate vs Passport to draw pension

J J Tovar made this Freedom of Information request to General Register Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

We're waiting for J J Tovar to read recent responses and update the status.

Dear General Register Office,

One of my pension providers (ex-employer, defined benefit pension) insists that I send my birth certificate in order to commence pension payments. I do not have a birth certificate (not born in UK). The passport office accepted my original passport when I became a UK citizen.

What could I do in this case.

Yours faithfully,

J J Tovar

FOI, General Register Office

If your enquiry falls within the remit of a Freedom of Information request
Her Majesty’s Passport Office will send you an acknowledgement within the
next 2 working days.


If your enquiry does not fall within the Freedom of Information remit this
will not be forwarded or responded to. Therefore please contact the
appropriate department listed below:


• For a passport enquiry or complaint, please complete an online enquiry


• If your enquiry or complaint relates to a certificate which you have
ordered from the General Registrar’s Office, please complete the
certificate service order enquiries form.


• If your request is for information relating to your data held by Her
Majesty’s Passport Office or an individual it falls under the terms of the
Data Protection Act 1998 and may qualify as a Subject Access Request,
please email [email address]


• If your enquiry relates to nationality you should forward your enquiry
to the UK Visas and Immigration enquiry team who are better placed to
respond, please email    [email address



show quoted sections

GRO First Point of Contact,

Dear J J Tovar,
In response to your email it is being treated as ‘Business As Usual’ and
not as a ‘Freedom of Information’ request.
As you are aware the General Register Office can only supply a certified
copy if a birth event is registered in England and Wales.
You already acknowledge you were born outside the UK and I can only
suggest you try and obtain a copy from you country of birth.
Alternatively you may need to discuss alternative methods of proof with
the pension provider.
I am sorry I cannot help you any further
Andrew Knowles
Customer Correspondence Manager
Her Majesty's Passport Office, General Register Office
I Smedley Hydro I Trafalgar Road I Southport I PR8 2HH
T:+44(0)300 123 1837 | Text Relay Prefix 18001
E: [1]GROFirstPointofContact.gro.gov.uk
Any personal information you provide to us will be handled in accordance
with data protection legislation.  Further information on how we process
your personal information can be found at

show quoted sections


Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]
2. file:///tmp/x-msg:/2/www.gov.uk
3. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...

We don't know whether the most recent response to this request contains information or not – if you are J J Tovar please sign in and let everyone know.