Dear Birmingham City Council,
I would like to make the below request under FOI in regards to the Big Johns Birmingham Mela, also known as the Birmingham Eid Mela:
We understand that the Birmingham Eid Mela was organised and owned by Birmingham City Council however can you please confirm the following:
1) Who currently owns the brand and event?
2) If owned by Birmingham City Council, has the event been contracted out to another company to organise? If yes, what tendering and procurement policy was followed and used?
3) If the Mela is not owned by Birmingham City Council, who owns it? what is its legal structure? what involvement has Birmingham City Council got in the event? What is the partnership agreement and terms?
4) Please confirm if any grants or community funding were applied for by Birmingham City Council for the use of the Mela from 2013-2017?
5) Please send a full breakdown of costs to run the Mela including expenditure and income from 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
6) The financial amount and support in kind that Birmingham Council has given to the Mela for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
7) Please send a full breakdown of costs incurred by Birmingham City Council for the Mela from 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017.
8) What charges have been applied to the Mela for the use of Cannon Hill park for 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017?
9) Copies of all applications for funding made by Mela together with constitution and any other supporting documents provided to Birmingham City Council.
10) To whom were the monies paid to by Birmingham City Council?
11) What involvement does Cllr Mariam Khan have in the event? Does she chair and steering group? Who is part of the steering group?
Dear Kulwant ,
Freedom of Information Act 2000 – Request for Information FOI 17394
Thank you for your request for information held by the Council under the
provisions of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 which was received on
This has been referred to the relevant service area to identify, locate
and retrieve the information that we hold.
I would point out that under the Freedom of Information and Data
Protection Act (Appropriate Limits and Fees) Regulations 2004, a local
authority, such as Birmingham City Council, is obliged to respond to
requests for information where the request or related requests can be
complied with within 18 hours of officer time.
If we consider it would take over 18 hours to handle your request we will
let you know. In some cases it may be that the information could be
provided if a fee is paid for the work to be undertaken. We would then
issue a fees notice which would need to be paid before the request was
handled. For other requests, it may be possible to offer guidance as to
how the request might be re-scoped to enable information to be provided
within the 18 hours appropriate limit.
If you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact
us via email or on 0121 675 2336 or 675 7508 quoting the reference number
above in any future communications.
Professional Support Officer
Governance and Compliance
Performance and Support
P/O Box 2122
3^rd Floor Council House Extension
6 Margaret Street
1. mailto:[email address]