A unauthorised extension and renovation can be legalised.

Hemayet Hossain made this Freedom of Information request to Common Council of the City of London

This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.

The request was refused by Common Council of the City of London.

Dear Common Council of the City of London,
Dear Sir/Madam,
A house has been extended in rear part and renovated in the inside in 1979. Former house owner did not have any approval letter for renovation, alternation and extension.
He used to live in this house more than 40 years. No official person visited this house last 40 years and No neighbours complained to council or to house owner. This house was sold 2014.

My questions are:
1. What sort of problem can be faced new owner?
2. Is there any option to make this legalisation?
3. If no, what action will be taken against new owner?
4. If yes what sort of steps need to be taken to sort out this problem?

I like to let you know as a first time buyer the new owner could not realise these issues and former owner is not alive.

Yours faithfully,

Hemayet Hossain

COL - EB - Information Officer, Common Council of the City of London

Dear Mr Hossain,


The City of London (CoL) acknowledges receipt of your request for information of 7 August 2017.

Public authorities are required to respond to requests within the statutory timescale of 20 working days beginning from the first working day after they receive a request. The Act does not always require public authorities to disclose the information which they hold.

The FOIA applies to the CoL as a local authority, police authority and port health authority. The CoL is the local and police authority for the “Square Mile”, ie the historic City of London, and not for London as a whole. Please see the following page containing a link to a map (Explore the City), which shows the local authority area covered by the CoL:
The CoL does have some functions, including Port Health Authority functions, which extend beyond the City boundary. For further information please see: www.cityoflondon.gov.uk<http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk>.

Yours sincerely,

Information Officer
Comptroller & City Solicitor’s Department
City of London
Tel: 020-7332 1209

DBE - Information, Common Council of the City of London

Dear Hemayet Hossain
Following your request for information of 07 August 2017, and our
acknowledgement of the 08 August 2017, the City of London (CoL) responds
as follows.
The CoL has applied the Section 21(1) exemption, information accessible by
other means, to your request.
The CoL has noted that your request, although clearly about planning
matters, does not state the location of the property that you are
enquiring about. If the property in question is located outside of the CoL
area you should contact the planning authority in which the property is
located by using the following link :
Further information concerning your enquiry may be available to you via
the CoL planning webpage if the property is located within the CoL area :
Please note that the CoL is the Local Authority for the "square mile"
only, i.e. the historic City of London, and not London as a whole, which
is covered by over 30 boroughs and the Westminster City Council. Please
see the following link to a map on the CoL website, which shows the area
covered: [3]www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/maps/Pages/COMPASS.aspx.
If you have any queries or concerns, please contact me.
If you wish to make a complaint about the way the CoL has managed your
request under the FOIA, please make your complaint in writing to our
Complaints Officer at [4][email address].
For a link to the CoL’s FOI complaints procedure, please visit the
following page: [5]www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Feedback, at the end of which
is located the FOI complaints procedure.
If, having used the CoL’s FOI Complaints Procedure, you are still
dissatisfied, you may request the Information Commissioner to investigate.
The Information Commissioner is a Crown appointment, responsible for
monitoring compliance with the FOIA. Please contact: Information
Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Telephone: (01625) 545700. Website: [6]www.ico.org.uk
Please note that the Act applies to the CoL as a local authority, police
authority and port health authority.
CoL holds the copyright in this communication. The supply of it does not
give you a right to re-use it in a way that would infringe that copyright,
for example, by making copies, publishing and issuing copies to the public
or to any other person. Brief extracts of any of the material may be
reproduced under the fair dealing provisions of the Copyright, Designs and
Patents Act 1988 (sections 29 and 30) for the purposes of research for
non-commercial purposes, private study, criticism, review and news
reporting, subject to an acknowledgement of the copyright owner.
Yours sincerely,
Performance & Standards Officer
Department of the Built Environment
Phone      020 7606 3030