This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'New internal guidance on childcare costs element'.

Tax-Free Childcare 
Tax-Free Childcare  
How does Tax-Free Childcare work? 
Eligibility for Tax-Free Childcare 
Universal Credit and Tax-Free Childcare 
Childcare calculator 
Tax-Free Childcare 
Tax-Free  Childcare  offers  working  families  support  towards  qualifying  childcare 
costs. The scheme is delivered by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) 
It  replaces  the  Employer  Supported  Childcare  Scheme,  also  known  as  the 
Childcare Voucher Scheme. 
It is available to parents who are: 
•  full-time employees  
•  self-employed including those starting their own business 
•  working part time 
•  on paid and unpaid maternity, paternity or adoption leave 
•  on paid sick leave 
•  unable to work due to disability or caring responsibilities 
The scheme is available in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. 
How does Tax-Free Childcare work? 
Parents can open an online account through GOV.UK.  
They use the account to pay for childcare costs whilst working.  
The government will top-up the account to a maximum amount (for details of the 
amounts see GOV.UK).  
The childcare must be obtained from a registered or approved childcare provider. 
The  online  childcare  account  is  provided  by  National  Savings  &  Investments 
(NS&I) in partnership with HMRC. 
Other people  can pay  into the  account  (for example,  grandparents,  other  family 
members or employers). 

Eligibility for Tax-Free Childcare 
For  the  parent  or  their  partner  (if  they  have  one)  to  be  eligible  for  a  Tax-Free 
Childcare account, all of the following must apply. They: 
•  must be over 16 years old  
•  live and work in the UK (special rules apply if they live or work in another 
•  do not receive Tax Credits, Universal Credit or childcare vouchers (Child 
Benefit, Child Maintenance payments and free childcare for 2-4 year olds 
are unaffected) 
•  are working either employed or self-employed (If they are part of a couple, 
both must be working, or if one partner is working and the other partner is 
in  receipt  of  Incapacity  Benefit,  Severe  Disablement  Allowance,  Carer’s 
Allowance  or  Employment  and  Support  Allowance  and  they  are  due  to 
restart work within the next 31 days) 
•  earn at least the National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage for 16 
hours a week  on average  
•  do not expect to earn £100,000 or more each in the current tax year 
•  are responsible for a child under 12 or under 17 (if in receipt of Disability 
Living  Allowance  or  Child  Disability  Payment  (CDP)  in  Scotland  or 
Personal Independence Payment (PIP), Adult Disability Payment (ADP) or 
certified  as  severely  sight  impaired  or  blind  by  a  consultant 
Further information can be found on:  
Universal Credit and Tax-Free Childcare 
Claimants  won’t  be  eligible  to  open  a  Tax-Free  Childcare  account  if  they  are 
receiving  or  have  any  outstanding  claim  to  receive,  any  element  of  Universal 
Claimants  can  move  between  tax-free  childcare  and  Universal  Credit  as  their 
circumstances change, provided they meet the eligibility conditions. 
If there are no changes of circumstances, a claimant will be limited to the number 
of times they can switch between the schemes. 
After claiming Universal Credit, claimants with a Tax-Free Childcare account: 
•  must not reconfirm eligibility for Tax-Free Childcare when they receive the 
Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) reminder 

•  will have their Tax-Free Childcare account become ‘pay only’  
•  must  withdraw  or  use  any  remaining  money  in  their  Tax-Free  Childcare 
account within two years of claiming Universal Credit 
If a claimant needs help using the Tax-Free Childcare account, they can call the 
HMRC childcare service helpline on 0300 123 4097. 
They can also claim for childcare costs through Universal Credit. 
Claimants should not end their Universal Credit until they know which offers are 
available and how much they could get. This is to make sure that they will not be 
worse off going on to Tax-Free Childcare from Universal Credit. 
In  a  limited  number  of  cases,  some  claimants  moving  to  Universal  Credit  from 
Tax-Free  Childcare  will  temporarily  receive  105%  of  their  childcare  costs  in 
support  from  the  two  schemes,  85%  from  Universal  Credit  and  20%  from  Tax-
Free Childcare. 
Parents in receipt of Universal Credit will be able to use any money in their online 
tax-free  childcare account for up to two years after they cease to qualify  for the 
top-up payments.  
Childcare calculator 
Parents  need  to  consider  which  is  the  best  route  for  them  and  must  be 
signposted  to  the  childcare  calculator  on  GOV.UK  The  calculator can  be used to 
see what help is available with childcare costs.