This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'New internal guidance on childcare costs element'.

Registered or 
approved childcare 
Registered or approved childcare 
To be eligible for help with childcare costs through Universal Credit, a 
claimant must use a registered or approved childcare provider, such as:  
•  nurseries 
•  child minders 
•  day care services 
•  school-bases care 
•  certain after school provision 
•  holiday play schemes 
•  play provision 
These are examples and not a complete list. 
A childcare provider can choose whether or not to register with a 
childminding agency designated under the Childcare Act 2006. To  check 
whether a provider is registered, contact the relevant national inspection 
authority as follows: 
•  England: Ofsted(link is external) 
•  Wales: Care Inspectorate Wales(link is external) 
•  Scotland: Care Inspectorate(link is external) 
•  Northern Ireland: Family Support Northern Ireland(link is external) 
Once it has been confirmed that the person proving childcare is 
registered with one of these agencies, Universal Credit can reimburse 
childcare costs up to 85% subject to the maximum limit. 
Some childcare providers (for example, private schools) are not required 
to be registered with the relevant local authority. However, childcare 
costs can still be claimed from Universal Credit. These are known as 
approved providers. 
Some other types of childcare (for example, after-school clubs on school 
premises) may not be registered with the relevant national inspection 
authority but are allowable when authorised by the governing body of a 

Activity clubs such as ballet lessons or football clubs or tuition classes 
may be OFSTED registered and will need a separate decision to 
determine whether these are reasonable and relevant childcare.   
Informal childcare such as a friend or family member looking after a 
child, is excluded. See 'Child is looked after by the claimant, 
the claimant’s partner or a relative' below. 
What registered or approved childcare 
means in each part of Great Britain 
Childcare in England 
The childcare provider must be registered with the Office for Standards 
in Education, Children's Services and Skills (link is external)(OFSTED). 
If a claimant uses childcare provided by a school, it must be:  
•  provided by or under the direction of the person responsible for 
managing the school, or a local authority 
•  on school premises that may be inspected as part of a school 
•  out of school hours (activity clubs such as ballet lessons do not 
count as after school care) 
Childcare in Wales 
The childcare must be provided by: 
•  a provider registered with the Care Inspectorate for Wales(link is 
•  a school on the school premises or by a local authority 
•  a domiciliary care worker (also called a home carer) providing 
childcare in the child’s home and registered under the Domiciliary 
Care Agencies (Wales) Regulations 2004 
•  someone approved under the Childcare at Home Voluntary 
Approval Scheme providing childcare in a child's home  or if 
several children are being looked after in one of the children’s 
The upper age limit for the compulsory registration of childcare provision 
in Wales has been extended from 8 to 12 years. 
The changes mean providers of childcare for children up to the age of 12 
years old operating for more than two hours a day must be registered 
with the Care Inspectorate Wales. 
Childcare in Scotland 
The child minding or day care must be provided by:  
•  a provider registered with the Care Inspectorate(link is external) 

•  someone registered with the Care Inspectorate to provide 
childcare in a child's home 
Childcare in Northern Ireland 
The childcare provider must be registered with Family Support NI(link is 
external). They are responsible for the registration, inspection, 
monitoring and support of child-minders and day care providers. 
Claimant is a Crown servant working 
abroad accompanied by their children 
If the claimant is a Crown servant (for example, a civil serva nt or a 
member of the armed forces posted overseas) they may be eligible for 
help with their childcare costs through Universal Credit. The childcare 
provider must be approved by a Ministry of Defence accreditation 
scheme abroad. 
Child is looked after by the claimant, the 
claimant’s partner or a relative 
Childcare costs cannot be paid for childcare provided by a claimant or  a 
claimant’s partner. 
However, a claimant may be eligible for support with childcare costs 
through Universal Credit if the childcare is provided by a relative who is 
•  a registered child minder who cares for a child outside of the 
child's own home 
•  a childcare provider approved under the Childcare at Home 
Voluntary Approval Scheme in Wales who cares for a child outside 
the child's own home, but they must also care for at least 1 other 
child who is not related to them 
Excluded childcare 
Excluded childcare includes any that is not registered with the 
appropriate regulator (OFSTED or its Scottish, Welsh or Northern 
Ireland equivalent) or approved under a voluntary approval scheme.  
Certain other childcare arrangements are also excluded. A cl aimant is 
not eligible for help with childcare costs through Universal Credit where 
care is provided by a: 
•  close relative of the child in the child’s home (for example, the 
child’s parents) 
•  foster parent 
•  friend or family member looking after a child on an informal basis 

The reference to ‘close relation’ refers to the relationship with the child 
and not the claimant (for example, the child’s grandparents would not be 
deemed close relatives). 
Childcare agencies 
Childcare costs can be paid to a Childminder registered to an agency. In 
this circumstance the name of that agency is required to verify the 
agency is OFSTED registered.