SEND & Inclusion Partnership
Tuesday 9th February 2021 – Microsoft Teams
1. Minutes of previous meeting and action log
MB – St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Leamington Spa
JB – Designated Clinical Officer, NHS
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director Education, WCC
RC – SEND Commissioning Lead, WCC
DC - Strategy and Commissioning Manager - SEND & Inclusion, WCC
EC – Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
SG - Specialist Senior Educational Psychologist / EPS Lead, WCC
EH – SENDIAS
SH – Business Support (note taker)
EL – Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice
ZM - Strategy & Commissioning Manager (All Age Targeted Support), WCC
SM – Headteacher, Alcester Academy
ER – Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice
MS - South Warwickshire CCG
NW – Principal, Quest Academy
DW – Designated Clinical Officer, NHS Apologies:
CE – Rise, CWPT
DE - SENCO
IB welcomed everyone to the meeting. Special welcomes were given to EL and ER from
Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice and to SM, headteacher of Alcester Academy
representing secondary school headteachers, all of whom were attending for the first
time. Introductions were given by everyone present. Minutes of previous meeting
MS stated that she had sent her apologies for the previous meeting but this was not
reflected in the minutes. RC asked SH to make this amendment. Apart from this
amendment, the minutes were taken as accurate. Action Log
The following actions were discussed:
• RC and DC to contact the group with the details of the follow-up meeting with
the DfE and NHS England once KR has set it up.
RC gave an update on this
• MS and JD to give a verbal update regarding the Special School Nursing Review
at the next meeting.
MS reported that a couple of good meetings had been held
with colleagues at SWFT and had agreed a plan to produce an offer document
which will then be reviewed to see if there are other gaps. The first draft to be
done by the end of February to be sent internally. Ongoing.
• RC to discuss with MK which Early Help data to include in the performance
RC confirmed this is ongoing.
• RC to look into how to capture permanent exclusions from ISPs and fixed term
RC confirmed that this has not yet been resolved.
• SH to add MS’s apologies to the minutes of the previous meeting (8th December
2. Performance Report and Dashboard
RC presented the slides with updates and gave further verbal updates.
RC is hoping to have finalised data by next month’s meeting.
SM stated that this is really interesting data and would be worth exploring sharing good
practice. Definitely some good to come out of the data. RC expressed value to share
RC answered questions put forward following this update.
3. COVID-19 Update
RC presented the slides with updates and gave further verbal updates.
RC wished to thank ND and the Commissioning team with regards to all their work on
the vaccination programme and special schools.
DW reported that he had been talking to families about the balance of working at home
and home schooling, and supporting families to make the right decisions.
DC stated that she would be happy to support DW with this.
EC asked, ‘what can a family do if their condition is 'rare' and there is little advice and
support available?’ IB said that they should contact their family GP in the first instance. Actions
4. SEND & Inclusion Guidance
SG presented the slides and gave context of the guidance along with SEMH structure
and timeline. The guidance will be a web-based document.
MB stated that training is so important with virtual training having benefits, so the key
thing is if this is going to work then training is required for people to see importance of
jumping on board for using the matrix. IB stated that staff need to make use of
technology for this.
JB stated that she had been part of early discussions with SG. JB and her team have
been refreshing health information and creating a package based on the old matrix. JB
gave a further update on this work. In addition, training sessions for parents and
schools have been organised. JB has been to SENCO networks about what they would
like to see from Occupation Therapists on the matrix. JB is waiting to see how this work
would fit in to SG’s work.
An observation was made that parents are angry and upset because the needs of the
child are not being met and they are only seeing the matrix for the first time. EH was
asked if SENDIAS can be involved and provide support when parents are angry.
EH reported that SENDIAS has contact with parents via an email or phone call in those
situations and the SEND support in the school is reviewed. EH confirmed that these
conversations are taking place. EH said she would look at the support documentation
in team meetings. EH also said that she would be happy to hear from parent carers.
Regarding training, DC stated that the SEN team are picking this up by looking through
the change programme and working out how to deliver the training.
DC stated that the tribunal rate has increased. We need to look at how we start that
process and what is required. DC said it is important to work together and would be a
big piece of work between schools, SENDIAS and the local authority. EC said she is
hoping that parent carer representatives can be included and requested more clear
clarification regarding the local policy. Regarding tribunal rates, EC stated that the local
authority has the opportunity to withdraw from a tribunal. The duty lies in favour of
supporting the child. This needs to be co-productive.
It is intended that the guidance is in the form of a web tool which can be more
proactive to support staff in schools. RC wants to get as much done on this by 1st
September 2021. RC said he was encouraged by today’s discussions and would be
happy to share information with parents, but it is not easy to do this in the present
format. We need to have the draft web version available.
SG thanked everyone involved with this work.
IB thanked SG with everything she’s doing with this and for the ongoing progress. Actions
• For work on SEND Guidance to progress working to 1 September launch date
5. SEND Self-Evaluation
RC presented the slides with updates and gave further verbal updates. RC stated that
the full self-evaluation document is 25 pages long.
A discussion was held regarding exclusions.
IB stated that the numbers of permanent exclusions had decreased by 50%. Would be
good to follow up on what’s happening with alternative behaviours i.e. are there more
fixed term exclusions than permanent?
EC mentioned a virtual podcast which she had listened to by a secondary school
headteacher, JP, whose school has not recorded any recent fixed term exclusions. A
number of members were interested in listening to that podcast (see below link): http://www.alcoates.co.uk/p/the-adoption-fostering-podcast.html
DC reported that MR has done great work on permanent exclusions.
MB talked about the significant adult project and how this was highlighting current
different approaches by different schools. DC stated that she and MR would be happy
to work alongside MB.
Areas for Improvement:
EC requested more detail for joint commissioning. RC & ZM gave updates on joint
ZM said this needs to be around governance and need to put context about mitigation. Actions
• RC to amend slide following EC’s Core CAMHS query.
• RC to amend joint commissioning text to focus on governance
6. SEND & Inclusion Change Programme
RC presented slides detailing programme updates and project updates i.e. Needs
Focussed Panels project.
DC gave an update on the Quality Assurance Framework. RC gave further updates and
details on this area.
Regarding the Head Count figures, EC stated that the COVID-19 pandemic is affecting
higher level of needs. We need to be mindful of this.
RC also updated the group on the Warwickshire Parent Carer Forum now known as
Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice. RC was thrilled that ER and EL were able to attend
7. Preparation for Adulthood Update
RC presented an update slide and gave further verbal updates including inclusive
apprenticeships and supported internships.
8. Any Other Business
IB stated that he would be happy to accept emails with any queries.
IB thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting. Actions
• RC to share slides from this meeting.
Next meeting – Thursday 25th March 2021 (10.00am – 11.30am)